Function of Commutator: Reversing Electric Current

In summary: ive been trying to understand it for a while now and this was the best explanation ive found. so sorry for being so dense! in summary, the commutator reverses the current by separating the opposite electrons flow between the coil and external circuit
heavystray
Hi, so i want to ask what's the function of the split between the commutator?

my guess is to temporarily separate the opposite electrons flow between the coil and external circuit after the half cycle? so that's why the current is reversed? please i really need someone to explain how the commutator reverse the current if it's wrong. thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Stray, welcome to PF :smile: !

See here. Function is to switch polarity.
In first order the moment the split passes the contacts, there is no voltage difference anyway because the wires that generate the emf are moving in the direction of the magnetic field (no component perpendicular to the field).

Likes heavystray
BvU said:
Hello Stray, welcome to PF :smile: !

See here. Function is to switch polarity.
In first order the moment the split passes the contacts, there is no voltage difference anyway because the wires that generate the emf are moving in the direction of the magnetic field (no component perpendicular to the field).
hey thanks for the reply, so my guess is wrong? I'm so sorry i just can't seem to grasp the concept yet. so, i think i understand quite well what the commutator does, but why there is a need of having the split? oh my god I'm so sorry. so if the commutator doesn't have the split, the current induced would alternate? ughh

If there's no split, the current goes through the commutator and not through the loop (for a motor) or the external load (for a generator) :smile: .

(Actually, in both cases the current goes through both ... :rolleyes: )

BvU said:
If there's no split, the current goes through the commutator and not through the loop (for a motor) or the external load (for a generator) :smile: .

so you're saying the split function is to separate the current from flowing to the 'other side' of the commutator back? anyway thank u so much for replying! :DD

Last edited:
BvU said:

hey, i think I've understand it now! if there's no separation between the ring, the current will not be reversed right?

Yas, and it will be a short-circuit situation, too...

BvU said:
Yas, and it will be a short-circuit situation, too...
ohhh thank u very much for the help!

Related to Function of Commutator: Reversing Electric Current

1. What is a commutator and what does it do?

A commutator is a mechanical device that is used to reverse the direction of an electric current. It is typically made up of a set of copper segments arranged in a circular shape and connected to the ends of a wire loop. When the loop rotates, the commutator ensures that the current changes direction in a controlled manner.

2. Why is a commutator necessary in electric motors?

A commutator is necessary in electric motors because it helps to convert the alternating current (AC) supplied by the power source into direct current (DC) that is needed to power the motor. Without a commutator, the motor would not be able to rotate continuously as the direction of the current would constantly change.

3. How does a commutator work?

A commutator works by using the brushes (typically made of carbon) to make contact with the copper segments on the commutator. As the loop rotates, the brushes slide along the segments, maintaining contact and ensuring that the current flows in the desired direction.

4. What are the common materials used to make a commutator?

The most common materials used to make a commutator are copper and carbon. Copper is used for the segments and carbon is used for the brushes. Other materials, such as silver and gold, may also be used for their conductive properties.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a commutator?

One potential disadvantage of using a commutator is that it can generate sparks and cause wear on the brushes, which may require regular maintenance and replacement. Additionally, commutators can only be used with certain types of motors, such as DC motors, and are not suitable for use with AC motors.