Function of angle between vector field and scalar function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function θ(x,y,z) to represent the angle between a given scalar function and a vector field at any point. The suggested method involves finding the tangent line to the scalar function at a point and taking the dot product with the vector field at that point. However, this method may need to be generalized and the vectors must be normalized for accurate results. Additionally, the partial derivatives of the scalar function must be taken at the given point.
Kavorka
I was curious, if you were given a vector field F(x,y,z) = <Fx(x,y,z), Fy(x,y,z), Fz(x,y,z)>, and then some scalar function f(x,y,z), how would you define a function θ(x,y,z) of the angle θ between the scalar function and the vector field at any given point. I know how I would find this at a single point, by finding the equation of the line tangent to f(x,y,z) at that point via gradient and then finding its corresponding vector starting at the origin, and then taking the dot product of this vector with F(x,y,z) at that point, but I'm having difficulty generalizing it across all (x,y,z). Am I correct in saying:

cosθ = <Fx(x,y,z), Fy(x,y,z), Fz(x,y,z)> ⋅ <∂f/∂x, ∂f/∂y, ∂f/∂z> =
(∂f/∂x)Fx + (∂f/∂y)Fy + (∂f/∂z)Fz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is correct but there are a few observations.
1) In this way you find the angle between the vector field and the tangent space of ##f(x,y,z)##.
2)You must normalize vectors in order to have a number between ##0## and ##1##.
3)the partial derivatives of ##f## must be taken at the point ##(x,y,z)##.

Likes FactChecker

Related to Function of angle between vector field and scalar function

1. What is the definition of the angle between a vector field and a scalar function?

The angle between a vector field and a scalar function is the angle formed between the gradient vector of the scalar function and the vector field at a specific point in space. It represents the direction in which the scalar function is changing the fastest at that point.

2. How is the angle between a vector field and a scalar function calculated?

The angle between a vector field and a scalar function can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1 (F · ∇f / |F||∇f|), where F is the vector field, ∇f is the gradient vector of the scalar function, and | | represents the magnitude.

3. What does a small or large angle between a vector field and a scalar function indicate?

A small angle indicates that the vector field and the scalar function are aligned, meaning that the scalar function is changing in the same direction as the vector field at that point. A large angle indicates that the vector field and the scalar function are not aligned, meaning that the scalar function is changing in a different direction than the vector field at that point.

4. How is the angle between a vector field and a scalar function used in physics?

In physics, the angle between a vector field and a scalar function is used to determine the direction and strength of forces in a system. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, where the angle between the velocity vector field and the pressure scalar function can provide information about the flow of a fluid.

5. Can the angle between a vector field and a scalar function be negative?

Yes, the angle between a vector field and a scalar function can be negative. This occurs when the vector field and scalar function are pointing in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product value. However, in most cases, the absolute value of the angle is used to represent the direction of change in the scalar function.