Function involving a negative square root HELP?

In summary, a function involving a negative square root is an expression or equation that contains a negative number within a square root symbol. This results in an imaginary number, which is a complex number that is a multiple of the imaginary unit, i (where i = √(-1)). To solve a function involving a negative square root, the rules of square roots can be used to simplify the expression. These types of functions are often used in physics, engineering, and financial calculations.
yobrojas
As you can't take the square root of a negative number without introducing complex numbers, which would be the correct answer to this function:

Equation:

x = -2

f(x) = √x / (x(x-1))

Answer a) 1.41i / 6

or

Answer b) 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you start by saying "you can't take the square root of a negative number without introducing complex numbers", why would you even ask whether a real number is the answer?

Sorry about that, just realize what I said...Apologies!

Related to Function involving a negative square root HELP?

1. What is a function involving a negative square root?

A function involving a negative square root is an expression or equation that contains a negative number within a square root symbol. For example, √(-9) is a function involving a negative square root.

2. Can a negative number be inside a square root?

Yes, a negative number can be inside a square root, but it results in an imaginary number. Imaginary numbers are numbers that, when squared, result in a negative number. For example, √(-9) is an imaginary number because (-9)² = 81, which is a positive number.

3. What is the difference between a negative square root and an imaginary number?

A negative square root is a real number that is less than 0, while an imaginary number is a complex number that is a multiple of the imaginary unit, i (where i = √(-1)). However, both involve taking the square root of a negative number, which results in a negative value.

4. How do you solve a function involving a negative square root?

To solve a function involving a negative square root, you can use the rules of square roots to simplify the expression. For example, √(-9) can be simplified to 3i, where i is the imaginary unit. It is important to remember that when solving these types of functions, the result will always be an imaginary number.

5. In what real-world scenarios would a function involving a negative square root be used?

Functions involving negative square roots are often used in physics and engineering to represent certain physical quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. They can also be used in financial calculations, such as calculating the present value of an investment with a negative growth rate.