Function for (damped) SHM as a linear combination of two exponentials

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the equation for damped SHM in lectures, using a solution of the form Ae^{\alpha t}. The final step of the solution involves a linear combination of two distinct solutions, where the arbitrary constants C1 and C2 can take on complex values. This is true for any linear equation, not just differential ones. The conversation also mentioned a potential issue with the preview function on PF when using LaTeX.
quozzy
So, in lectures we derived the equation for damped SHM by solving the differential equation relating position (x), mass (m), spring constant (s), and damping coefficient (r):

[tex]m\ddot{x}=-\frac{s}{m}x-r\dot{x}[/tex]

Using a solution of the form [tex]Ae^{\alpha t}[/tex], we find that:

[tex]x=Ae^{-pt}e^{\pm qt}[/tex],

where [tex]p=\frac{r}{2m}[/tex], and [tex]q=\sqrt{p^{2}-\frac{s}{m}}[/tex].

Everything until and including this I understand. However, the final step, with no explanation, turns the solution into the following:

[tex]e^{-pt}(C_{1}e^{qt}+C_{2}e^{-qt})[/tex],

where C1 and C2 are some arbitrary constants. (i.e. a linear combination of the two distinct solutions.) In trying to research this online, I found an article that mentions the solution holds true for all complex values of C1 and C2. I don't understand how, algebraically, you can go from the previous step to the last one. Somebody help me out?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I don't know why the closing bracket doesn't show up in the last equation, but it should be there. (EDIT: Nevermind, it works now.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is true that if f(x) and g(x) are distinct solutions of a linear equation then their sum is also a solution as is any arbitrary linear combination of them.

Note this is true of any linear equation, not only differential ones.

In your penultimate line you have two distinct functions obtained by taking either the = or the - sign in

[tex]{e^{ \pm qx}}[/tex]

Does this help?

You also thought that there was a problem whilst composing and using the preview. This is a problem that PF has with Latex where the preview does not rflect changes. You can cure it by refreshing the whole page or quitting the thread and reacquiring it.

go well

Related to Function for (damped) SHM as a linear combination of two exponentials

1. What is (damped) SHM?

(Damped) SHM stands for (damped) simple harmonic motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. In (damped) SHM, the restoring force also experiences a damping effect, causing the motion to gradually decrease over time.

2. What is a linear combination of two exponentials?

A linear combination of two exponentials is a mathematical expression that involves multiplying two exponential functions by constants and adding them together. It is often used to model (damped) SHM, where one exponential function represents the oscillatory motion and the other represents the damping effect.

3. How is (damped) SHM represented as a linear combination of two exponentials?

(Damped) SHM can be represented as a linear combination of two exponentials by using the equation x(t) = Ae-αtcos(ωt) + Be-αtsin(ωt), where x(t) is the displacement at time t, A and B are constants, α is the damping coefficient, and ω is the angular frequency.

4. What is the significance of the constants A and B in the equation for (damped) SHM as a linear combination of two exponentials?

The constants A and B represent the initial conditions of the (damped) SHM system. A represents the initial amplitude or maximum displacement, while B represents the initial velocity or initial phase angle. These constants determine the specific characteristics of the (damped) SHM motion.

5. How is the damping coefficient α related to the rate of decay in (damped) SHM?

The damping coefficient α is directly proportional to the rate of decay in (damped) SHM. This means that a larger value of α will result in a faster decay of the oscillatory motion and a smaller value of α will result in a slower decay. In other words, the greater the damping coefficient, the faster the (damped) SHM system will lose energy and eventually come to rest.