Fun with graphs and calculators

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of understanding math in calculus class rather than relying solely on graphing calculators. The speaker discovered a method that works on TI-83, TI-84, and possibly TI-89 calculators for drawing graphs and calculating integrals. They also shared two different choices for window sizes when graphing sin(15*pi*x) and asked which one was a worse representation of the function. They suggested using Wolfram Alpha to compare the graphs.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was coming up with examples for my students as to why we demand they actually understand math in calculus class instead of plugging all their functions into their graphing calculators to draw graphs and calculate integrals. I basically hit the motherload... I have confirmed this works on TI-83 and TI-84, so I imagine it works for TI-89s as well. Other graphing calculators probably require a different period depending on the screen size(if you have one post here and let us know what works!)

Draw the graph of sin(15*pi*x) with two different choices for the window size. For the first choice, let xmin=-2pi and xmax=2pi. For the second time, let xmin=-6.1 and xmax=6

Which graph is a worse representation of the function? Discuss.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to Fun with graphs and calculators

1. What is the purpose of using graphs and calculators in science?

The purpose of using graphs and calculators in science is to visually represent data and make calculations more efficient and accurate. Graphs help identify patterns and trends in data, while calculators aid in performing complex calculations and analyzing large datasets.

2. What types of graphs are commonly used in science?

Some common types of graphs used in science include line graphs, bar graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. The type of graph chosen depends on the type of data being presented and the purpose of the graph.

3. How do you create a graph using scientific data?

To create a graph, you first need to organize your data into a table or spreadsheet. Then, choose the appropriate type of graph and input the data into the graphing tool on a calculator or computer software. Finally, customize the graph by adding labels, titles, and adjusting the scale to accurately represent the data.

4. What is the benefit of using calculators in scientific experiments?

Calculators allow for quick and accurate calculations, reducing the potential for human error. They also have the ability to store and analyze large amounts of data, making it easier to identify patterns and draw conclusions from experiments.

5. Can graphs and calculators be used in any field of science?

Yes, graphs and calculators are used in a variety of scientific fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. They are valuable tools for collecting, analyzing, and presenting data in a visual and efficient manner.