Full DC Recovery for Variable Amplitude Sine Signal

• Thread starter 0xDEADBEEF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, there are a few options for DC recovery on a sine signal with variable amplitude. One option is to use a quick hack with a diode and capacitor in series, but this may leave a diode drop below 0. Another option is to use an opamp to eliminate the diode drop in rectification and peak detection. Additionally, using a quadrature method would double the frequency, so a low distortion chip is recommended for this approach. A single stage after peak detection can also provide the mean value.
0xDEADBEEF
I need to do dc recovery on a sine signal with a variable amplitude. (so its not between +U and -U but between +2U and 0) It is fast enough if the offsets adjusts within minutes. There is a quick hack in the Art of electronics, where they set a diode and a capacitor in series, but this leaves me one diode drop below 0. Is there a nice (possibly standard) circuit that does a full dc recovery. I try to keep the distortion low.

Another way would be quadrature although this would double the frequency. Can anyone recommend a good low distortion chip there.

Engineering news on Phys.org
0xDEADBEEF said:
I need to do dc recovery on a sine signal with a variable amplitude. (so its not between +U and -U but between +2U and 0) It is fast enough if the offsets adjusts within minutes. There is a quick hack in the Art of electronics, where they set a diode and a capacitor in series, but this leaves me one diode drop below 0. Is there a nice (possibly standard) circuit that does a full dc recovery. I try to keep the distortion low.

Another way would be quadrature although this would double the frequency. Can anyone recommend a good low distortion chip there.

You can use an opamp to get rid of the diode drop in rectification and peak detection. You can do a + peak detector and a - peak detector, and then a single stage after that to give you the mean value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_detector#Peak_detector

I would recommend exploring different circuit options and conducting experiments to find the most suitable solution for your specific needs. One option could be to use a precision rectifier circuit with an op-amp, which can provide full DC recovery with low distortion. Another option could be to use a chopper-stabilized instrumentation amplifier, which can also provide accurate DC recovery for variable amplitude signals. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and limitations of each circuit and conduct thorough testing to ensure the desired results. Additionally, researching and consulting with experts in the field of circuit design may also provide valuable insights and recommendations.

Related to Full DC Recovery for Variable Amplitude Sine Signal

1. What is Full DC Recovery for Variable Amplitude Sine Signal?

Full DC Recovery for Variable Amplitude Sine Signal is a technique used to recover the direct current (DC) component of a variable amplitude sine signal. This is important in applications where the DC component contains important information that needs to be preserved.

2. How does Full DC Recovery work?

Full DC Recovery works by using a combination of analog and digital signal processing techniques. The signal is first passed through a low pass filter to remove high frequency components, and then through an amplifier to amplify the remaining DC component. The amplified DC component is then subtracted from the original signal, leaving only the AC component.

3. What are the advantages of using Full DC Recovery?

One of the main advantages of Full DC Recovery is that it allows for accurate reconstruction of the original signal, including the DC component. This is especially useful in applications such as audio or power transmission where the DC component contains important information. Full DC Recovery also minimizes signal distortion and improves signal-to-noise ratio.

4. Are there any limitations to using Full DC Recovery?

Full DC Recovery is most effective when the DC component of the signal is relatively constant. If the DC component fluctuates significantly, the accuracy of the recovered signal may be affected. Additionally, Full DC Recovery may not be suitable for signals with very low or very high frequencies.

5. What are some common applications of Full DC Recovery?

Full DC Recovery is commonly used in audio and video transmission, power systems, and instrumentation. It is also useful in applications such as battery charging, where the DC component is critical for proper charging. In general, Full DC Recovery is beneficial in any application where the DC component of a variable amplitude sine signal needs to be accurately preserved.