FRW Metric in d Dimensions: Can I Expand?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of expanding the FRW metric in d spatial dimensions and whether the scale factor should be present in all spatial terms for isotropy to hold. It is also mentioned that a paper has explored the inclusion of a fifth dimension in the FRW metric.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was wondering if I can expand the FRW metric in d spatial dimensions, like:[itex] g_{\mu \nu}^{frw} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & - \frac{a^2(t)}{1-kr^2} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & - a^2(t) r^2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & -a^2 (t) r^2 \sin^2 \theta \end{pmatrix} \rightarrow g_{MN} = \begin{pmatrix} g_{\mu \nu}^{frw} & 0 \\ 0 & - 1_{(d-3) \times (d-3)} \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Or should I insert a ##-a^2 (t) ## for the rest too?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen the FRW metric discussed for a different number of dimensions, but I would think the scale factor would have to be present in all the spatial terms.

Likes ChrisVer
PeterDonis said:
I haven't seen the FRW metric discussed for a different number of dimensions, but I would think the scale factor would have to be present in all the spatial terms.
Agreed. You would break isotropy otherwise unless I am not thinking straight... For isotropy to hold, the FRW metric in spherica coordinates should be pretty straight forward to generalise - just replace ##d\Omega^2## by the metric for the appropriate unit sphere.

This of course relies on the assumption tha you want to be isotropic also in the extra dimensions.

Likes ChrisVer
I think you are right. I found a paper
"Higher Dimensional FRW String Cosmological Models in a New Scalar-tensor Theory of Gravitation" where they added a fifth dimension in FRW with a term [itex] A^2(t) d \mu [/itex] instead of [itex]R^2(t)[/itex] to the original 3 spatial dimensions.

Related to FRW Metric in d Dimensions: Can I Expand?

1. What is the FRW metric in d dimensions?

The FRW metric, also known as the Friedmann-Robertson-Walker metric, is a mathematical representation used to describe the geometry of the universe in cosmology. It is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity and is used to model the expansion of the universe.

2. How many dimensions are included in the FRW metric?

The FRW metric can be applied to any number of dimensions, but it is most commonly used in four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension) to describe our observable universe. However, it can also be used in higher dimensions for theoretical purposes.

3. Can the FRW metric be used to describe the expansion of the universe?

Yes, the FRW metric is specifically designed to describe the expansion of the universe. It is based on the idea that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that it is the same in all directions and at all points in time. This metric can be used to calculate the rate of expansion, as well as the curvature and density of the universe.

4. Can the FRW metric be expanded upon?

Yes, the FRW metric is a simplified model of the universe and can be expanded upon to include more complex factors. For example, the metric can be modified to include the effects of dark matter or dark energy, which are currently believed to make up a significant portion of the universe's mass and energy.

5. Is the FRW metric the only way to describe the expansion of the universe?

No, the FRW metric is just one of many models used to describe the expansion of the universe. Other models, such as the Lemaitre-Tolman-Bondi metric, also exist and may better describe certain aspects of the universe's expansion. However, the FRW metric is currently the most widely used and accepted model.