Frustrated with Adiabatic compression problem

In summary, the problem asks for the compression ratio at which diesel vapor is added for ignition in a diesel engine. The given information includes the autoignition temperature of diesel, the specific heat ratio of air, and the room temperature. The equations that can be used for this problem are PV=nRT, PV=NkT, and C=(dU/dT). To solve the problem, one must assume an initial pressure and volume, and take into account that most diesel engines take their combustion air from the atmosphere.
sfgoat

Homework Statement

In a diesel engine air is adiabatically compressed to autoignition temperature (287oC) of diesel. Given
C/nR=2.78 for air, and the room temperature is 27oC, what is the compression
ratio where diesel vapor is added for ignition.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
PV=NkT
C=(dU/dT)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just frustrated with this review problem and think I may be over thinking it but I am not given an initial pressure or volume and so I am not sure where to even start with this problem. Could someone please give me a push in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
sfgoat said:
I'm just frustrated with this review problem and think I may be over thinking it but I am not given an initial pressure or volume and so I am not sure where to even start with this problem. Could someone please give me a push in the right direction.

Well, most diesel engines take their combustion air from the atmosphere, so what is the pressure there?

If you want a volume to work with, assume one: a liter, a cubic meter, whatever you feel comfortable with.

Related to Frustrated with Adiabatic compression problem

What is adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression refers to the process of compressing a gas without any heat transfer occurring. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant during the compression process.

Why do scientists get frustrated with adiabatic compression problems?

Adiabatic compression problems can be frustrating because they are often complex and require a deep understanding of thermodynamics. Additionally, slight errors in calculations or assumptions can greatly affect the outcome of the problem.

How is adiabatic compression used in real life?

Adiabatic compression is used in various industrial processes, such as in refrigeration and air conditioning systems. It is also used in the compression of gases in engines, such as in the compression stroke of an internal combustion engine.

What are some challenges when solving adiabatic compression problems?

One of the main challenges in solving adiabatic compression problems is accurately determining the initial and final states of the gas. This requires knowledge of variables such as pressure, volume, and temperature at different points in the process. Additionally, the process may not always be reversible, which can complicate the calculations.

How can one improve their understanding of adiabatic compression?

Practice and experimentation are key to improving understanding of adiabatic compression. Solving various problems and experimenting with different variables can help develop a deeper understanding of the process. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced scientists or educators can also be helpful.