Frustrated spontaneous emission

In summary: The problem is that the boundary conditions no longer hold, and the field starts to "leak" out of the volume.
Trollfaz
I have heard of frustrated spontaneous emission that somehow says that an atom that normally emit light will cease to do so when its surroundings is incapable of absorbing light. How is this possible, and is this experimentally proven?

Likes Jilang
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question, because it's not a point whether radiation can be absorbed or not but whether it can be emitted. There are many ways a decay can be surpressed.

I refer also to the usual electromagnetic spontaneous transitions in atoms as a "decay" of a state due to interaction with the quantized radiation field; note that spontaneous emission is the very point, where you really need photons, i.e., the quantized em. field, while for nearly everything else you can come very far with the semiclassical approximation, where the em. field is taken as a classical field.

Most common are the dipole selection rules, i.e., for electric dipole radiation the angular-momentum quantum number must stay the same or change by 1 (transitions ##l=0 \rightarrow l=0## are always forbidden) and the magnetic quantum number must stay the same or change by 1. All other transitions are "forbidden" (or maybe allowed but suppressed due to higher-order multipole transitions):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_rule#Angular_momentum

Another possibility is that you put the atom in a cavity. Then an decay, "allowed" in free space, can become forbidden or at least suppressed, if the corresponding frequency of the photon is not close enough to a resonance frequency of the em. field in this cavity.

Likes Jilang
Does placing an atom in a mirror cavity prevents it from emitting light?

The Wheeler-Feynman absorber theory has never been extended to a consistent quantum theory. In standard QED, putting an atom in a cavity, suppresses radiation whose wave length doesn's "fit" into the cavity.

It's very interesting. How does it know in advance that it won't fit?

Nothing needs to know that it doesn't fit. In the cavity there's simply no state that describes a photon at that frequency.

Yes, the boundary conditions would dictate that. How would that be different for an infinite cavity?

The "infinite cavity" has its own problems, as you know when studying QFT in the high-energy-particle context. One way to get well defined observables (S-matrix elements) is indeed to first use a finite "quantization volume". In this context it's wise to use periodic boundary conditions, because this admits the definition of a well-defined momentum operator. So take a cube with length ##L## as the quantization volume. We consider free photons and use the formalism starting from the fully gauge fixed description, i.e., we describe the field by a four-potential ##A^{\mu}## subject to the radiation-gauge condition (only possible for free fields)
$$A^0=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}=0.$$
The remaining two field components fulfill the wave equation
$$\Box \vec{A}=0.$$
Now we look for plain-wave solutions, leading to
$$\vec{A}_{\vec{k}}=A \vec{\epsilon}_{\vec{k},\lambda} \exp(-\mathrm{i} k \cdot x)|_{k^0=\omega_{\vec{k}}=|\vec{k}|}+\text{c.c.}.$$
##\lambda## labels the two unit vectors (polarization vectors of the wave) perpendicular to ##\vec{k}## since the gauge condition imposes that the waves are transvers:
$$\vec{k} \cdot \vec{\epsilon}_{\vec{k},\lambda}=0.$$
The boundary conditions impose
$$\vec{k} \in \frac{2 \pi}{L} \mathbb{Z}^3,$$
i.e., we have a discrete set of "allowed" momenta. The grid becomes the finer the larger the size of the quantization volume gets, and in the limit of ##L \rightarrow \infty##.

A general field is given by the Fourier series
$$\vec{A}(t,\vec{x})=\sum_{\lambda=1}^2 \sum_{\vec{k} \ in 2 \pi/L \mathbb{Z}^3} [A_{\lambda}(\vec{k}) \epsilon_{\vec{k} \lambda} \exp(-\mathrm{i} k \cdot x)|_{k^0=|\vec{k}|}+\text{c.c.}]$$
The quantization is then straight forward, using the usual Lagrange-Hamilton procedure.

In the infinite-volume limit the sum goes over to an integral over ##\vec{k} \in \mathbb{R}^3##.

Likes Jilang

Related to Frustrated spontaneous emission

What is frustrated spontaneous emission?

Frustrated spontaneous emission refers to the phenomenon where an excited atom or molecule does not emit a photon, despite being in a state of excitation. This can occur when the atom or molecule is in a highly confined or structured environment, such as a cavity or near a surface, which interferes with the emission process.

What causes frustrated spontaneous emission?

Frustrated spontaneous emission is caused by the interference of the emission process due to the presence of a highly structured or confined environment. This can include factors such as the geometry of the cavity, the presence of mirrors, or the proximity to a surface. These factors can alter the energy levels and emission pathways of the atom or molecule, leading to the frustration of spontaneous emission.

What are the applications of frustrated spontaneous emission?

Frustrated spontaneous emission has various applications in fields such as quantum optics and nanophotonics. It has been studied for its potential to improve the efficiency and control of light emission in devices such as lasers, LEDs, and single-photon sources. It also has potential applications in quantum information processing and sensing.

Can frustrated spontaneous emission be observed experimentally?

Yes, frustrated spontaneous emission can be observed experimentally. It can be detected through techniques such as fluorescence spectroscopy, which can measure the emission rate and energy levels of the excited atom or molecule. Other methods such as near-field scanning optical microscopy (NSOM) can also be used to directly image the emission patterns and pathways of frustrated spontaneous emission.

How is frustrated spontaneous emission different from regular spontaneous emission?

Regular spontaneous emission occurs when an excited atom or molecule spontaneously emits a photon in a random direction. In contrast, frustrated spontaneous emission is a non-radiative process where the emission is prevented or altered due to the presence of a structured or confined environment. This results in a different emission pattern and energy distribution compared to regular spontaneous emission.