From Atoms to the Universe; too much to know - too little time…

cyberPunk
How did you find PF?
Searched online - how else would one fine such a forum!
Uni was an amazing time - I studied physics / maths methods / applied maths as an external student to London University. At the same time I was building equipment to use on my small telescope, checking out all the usual suspects. I am the nephew of Barrie Gilbert who was a big mover and shaker in the analog semiconductor industry, so of course I tilted slightly in that direction.

Since then I worked in avionics and telecoms. Have had lively discussions with scientists from CERN and kept a close eye on many scientific matters. Looking forward to intelligent discussions in this forum that might help throw light on some murky areas for me and others.

The universe is not obliged to provide any reasonable explanations to us, but the fact that we have made some progress in certain areas is encouraging…

Likes pinball1970, berkeman, PeroK and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Likes cyberPunk
Welcome nowhere man.

Last edited:
cyberPunk said:
How did you find PF?: Searched online - how else would one fine such a forum!

I am the nephew of Barrie Gilbert who was a big mover and shaker in the analog semiconductor industry
How cool. I hope you got to have some great conversations with him! :smile:

1704377595377.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_cell

…mostly memories and feelings. I visited him many years ago and we drove around Oregon and Washington looking at the sights and chatting about projects that he was working on. It was fun but I moved to Australia and didn’t manage to ever catch up again (Covid got in the way of plans to visit again recently).
Thanks for the image of the Gilbert gain cell - the quiet achiever, without which so much modern tech would not work.

Likes hutchphd, berkeman and pinball1970