From applied mathematics to physics.

In summary: Also to jump hasty and carelessly into conclusions is not a good trait for any scientist even for a chemist :P
papajo
I am currently an undergraduate student at a department of applied mathematics.

Its a 4 years (240 ects) program in which I can take lots of physics classes directly from the department of physics of my university as well.

The thing is that I start to believe that I like more to do physics unfortunately I don't know if that is a viable option for me.

What I mean is that I don't know if I can pursue a physics Ph.D (lets say on something relevant to theoretical physics) after my graduation.

Is it mandatory to get a masters degree in physics first, in order to be accepted for a Ph.D in physics because my degree will be more relevant to mathematics?

I apologize for my English its just that I am not a native speaker (also I don't study in an English speaking university ) but of course I will continue studying English with the hope to be more than proficient when I manage to get my degree because I aim to continue my academic career in USA or England.

I thank you in advance for your advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your post.

Something more acute to my question precise and quick? I just want to know if its theoretically and practically possible to go directly for a Ph.D in physics (USA/England) having a degree in applied mathematics

I will read the topic on your link but currently I can't since I have to prepare for my exams :P

papajo said:
I just want to know if its theoretically and practically possible to go directly for a Ph.D in physics (USA/England) having a degree in applied mathematics

Yes it is definitely possible. I know several people who did exactly that in the past couple years.

Likes 1 person
I doubt you will make a good physicist. Seriously. Zz pointed you to a link that answered your question, and was filled with other information you will need and you are turning your nose up at it because it isn't "precise and quick" enough for you. Most successful physicists do not ask to be spoon fed answers, and most successful people do not make it a habit to be rude and obnoxious to people who are trying to help you.

jgens said:
Yes it is definitely possible. I know several people who did exactly that in the past couple years.

Vanadium 50 said:
I doubt you will make a good physicist.

UK and US concepts of "undergraduate applied math" may be different. For example, here are some of the options from a (randomly selected, Russell Group,) UK university for 3rd year "applied maths:"

Statistical Physics
Quantum Physics of Atoms
Electrodynamics
Cosmology
Plasma Electrodynamics
Solar Magnetohydrodynamics
Relativity and Electrodynamics
Statistical Mechanics of Complex Systems
Optoelectronics and Laser Physics
Astro Physics
Relativistic Quantum Mechanics
Scattering and Spectroscopy
Gauge Theories for Particle Physics
General Relativity

Those courses would most likely be delivered by the Physics department, but the UK doesn't have the "major and minor" division in its degree system - the end result would be a degree certificate that just says "maths".

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
UK and US concepts of "undergraduate applied math" may be different. For example, here are some of the options from a (randomly selected, Russell Group,) UK university for 3rd year "applied maths:"

[snip]

Those courses would most likely be delivered by the Physics department

Indeed there exists a Russell Group university where Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics are lumped in the same department.

Thanks for your responses :)

Vanadium 50 said:
I doubt you will make a good physicist. Seriously. Zz pointed you to a link that answered your question, and was filled with other information you will need and you are turning your nose up at it because it isn't "precise and quick" enough for you. Most successful physicists do not ask to be spoon fed answers, and most successful people do not make it a habit to be rude and obnoxious to people who are trying to help you.

well you seem to be the lazy one and rude as well... 1st I did thank ZapperZ for his post 2nd I didnt say that I will not read the topic on the link he gave me infact I already mentioned that I will do so 3rd I just finished reviewing 500 pages of theory on which I will have to be examed tomorrow I didnt had the luxury to read all this stuff today but still was eager to get an answer (to a simple question it was a matter of information I didnt ask something that needs deep understanding practice etc.)

Also to jump hasty and carelessly into conclusions is not a good trait for any scientist even for a chemist :P
pasmith said:
Indeed there exists a Russell Group university where Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics are lumped in the same department.

Well that's exactly how it works here in Greece (were I study) half of my classes are physics and chemistry lectures but my degree will state Applied Mathematics :P

Last edited:
My objection was not one of preparation (although the case can be made) but one of temperament.

It is definitely possible. You might have to take some remedial classes though in physics. I recommend you take an upper division classical mechanics class, upper div EM, Stat Mechanics, and quantum mechanics in undergrad to make yourself more competitive.

papajo said:
Thanks for your responses :)

well you seem to be the lazy one and rude as well... 1st I did thank ZapperZ for his post 2nd I didnt say that I will not read the topic on the link he gave me infact I already mentioned that I will do so 3rd I just finished reviewing 500 pages of theory on which I will have to be examed tomorrow I didnt had the luxury to read all this stuff today but still was eager to get an answer (to a simple question it was a matter of information I didnt ask something that needs deep understanding practice etc.)

Also to jump hasty and carelessly into conclusions is not a good trait for any scientist even for a chemist :P

Well that's exactly how it works here in Greece (were I study) half of my classes are physics and chemistry lectures but my degree will state Applied Mathematics :P

Don't worry. Vanadium is typically a bit terse and brash in his responses around here.

Related to From applied mathematics to physics.

1. What is applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that involves the application of mathematical models, theories, and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology.

2. How is applied mathematics used in physics?

Applied mathematics is used in physics to develop mathematical models and equations that describe physical phenomena and solve complex problems in areas such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It helps physicists to make accurate predictions and understand the underlying principles of the physical world.

3. Why is applied mathematics important in physics?

Applied mathematics is important in physics because it provides a quantitative and rigorous framework to analyze and understand the behavior of physical systems. It allows physicists to make predictions and test their theories against experimental data, leading to a deeper understanding of the laws and principles governing the natural world.

4. What are some examples of the applications of applied mathematics in physics?

Examples of the applications of applied mathematics in physics include the use of differential equations to model the motion of objects, the application of calculus in mechanics to calculate forces and work, and the use of vector calculus to describe electromagnetic fields. Other examples include the use of Fourier analysis in signal processing and the application of statistics in analyzing experimental data and making predictions.

5. What are some career opportunities for those with a background in applied mathematics and physics?

A background in applied mathematics and physics can lead to various career opportunities, including roles in research and development, data analysis, and modeling in industries such as engineering, finance, and healthcare. Other career options include teaching, consulting, and working in government agencies or research institutes.