Frictionless collision problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around a frictionless collision between two masses, A (60 kg) and B (20 kg), moving in different directions. After colliding and sticking together, the magnitude and direction of their velocity are discussed, as well as whether kinetic energy is lost in the collision and if it is elastic or inelastic. It is determined that this is an elastic collision and the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision. The exact values for the velocity and angle after the collision are not provided.
justinbaker
not even sure where to start on this one

Consider the following frictionless collision: Mass A (60 kg) moves west at 5.00 m/s and mass B (20 kg) moves south at 20 m/s. They collide and stick together.

1.) what are the magnitude and the direction of their velocity after they stick together? Give sketch and angle.

2.) Is any kinetic energy lost in the collision? If so how much?

3.) Is this an elastic collision? why or why not?

thanks for the help everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
well, according to my physics book:

Elastic Collision: One in which the total kinetic energy of the system after the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy before the collision.

Inelastic Collision: One in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not the same before and after the collision; if the objects stick together after colliding, the collision is said to be completely inelastic.

so...i think that should answer your 2nd and 3rd questions...i'd help with the first, but I'm pretty sure i'd screw that up, lol. I hope this helps. :eek:)

can anyone else help with the 1st one?

nvr mind i got it

Related to Frictionless collision problem

1. What is a frictionless collision problem?

A frictionless collision problem is a physics concept that describes the collision between two objects with no external forces acting upon them, such as friction or air resistance. This means that the objects involved in the collision will not experience any resistance or change in motion due to outside factors.

2. What is the conservation of momentum in a frictionless collision?

The conservation of momentum states that in a frictionless collision, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains constant. This means that the total mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision will not change.

3. How is kinetic energy conserved in a frictionless collision?

In a frictionless collision, kinetic energy is also conserved. This means that the total amount of energy in the system before and after the collision remains the same. This is because the absence of external forces means that no energy is lost due to friction or other factors.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic frictionless collision?

An elastic frictionless collision is one in which both the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. In contrast, an inelastic frictionless collision is one in which only the conservation of momentum is conserved, and some kinetic energy is lost due to the deformation of the objects involved in the collision.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to frictionless collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of an object, and it is directly related to frictionless collisions. In a frictionless collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, indicating a perfectly elastic collision. This means that the objects involved will bounce off each other with no loss of kinetic energy. However, in real-world situations, the coefficient of restitution may be less than 1, indicating some loss of energy due to factors like deformation or sound.