Frictional force on an inclined plane

In summary: Yes, that's correct. And that's why the case starts sliding in the downward direction. The friction force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the case. So, it's acting in the downward direction, which is why the negative sign is there in your acceleration equation.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

A suitcase of mass 16 kg is placed on a ramp inclined at 15 ° to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the suitcase and the ramp is 0.4. Determine whether the suitcase rests in equilibrium on the ramp, and state the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the suitcase.

Homework Equations

Net F =ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is the suitcase is not in equilibrium. But I'm not sure if my working is right to show it is not in equilibrium. This is what I did:

Resolve forces parallel to the ramp:
16gsin 15° - μR= ma
16gsin15° - μ (mgcos15°) =16a
a= -1.28 ms^-2
So since a≠0 , it is not in equilibrium.
But this kinda don't make sense.. How can frictional force be so large that it could pull the suitcase up? Is my normal reaction force, R=mgcos15° , correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the force you calculate with ##\mu N## is the maximum friction force. On a horizontal plane the friction is 0, ##\mu N## is not zero, but the case doesn't move !

Janiceleong26 said:
A suitcase of mass 16 kg is placed on a ramp inclined at 15 ° to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the suitcase and the ramp is 0.4. Determine whether the suitcase rests in equilibrium on the ramp, and state the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the suitcase.
Consider the suitcase is placed on a horizontal plane. Since gravity can't set it into motion, it will stay at rest. Now, if the plane is tilted slowly, component of gravity along the incline will pull the case. At the same time, friction will oppose the sliding motion, keeping the case at rest. However, if we keep on tilting the plane, at a particular angle, the case will start sliding. Can you write the force equation at the instant "just before" the case starts sliding?

Last edited:
BvU said:
Note that the force you calculate with ##\mu N## is the maximum friction force. On a horizontal plane the friction is 0, ##\mu N## is not zero, but the case doesn't move !
Why is friction 0 on a horizontal plane? I'm sorry, but I don't understand.. how do we know that the case doesn't move when μN is not zero?

cnh1995 said:
Consider the suitcase is placed on a horizontal plane. Since gravity can't set it into motion, it will stay at rest. Now, if the plane is tilted slowly, component of gravity along the incline will pull the case. At the same time, friction will oppose the sliding motion, keeping the case at rest. However, if we keep on tilting the plane, at a particular angle, the case will start sliding. Can you write the force equation at the instant "just before" the case starts sliding?
ΣF=ma
mgsin 15° - mgsin 15° = m(0)
Frictional force is equal to the weight component parallel to the ramp, when it's about to slide.
Oh so from there, we can determine the normal reaction force by mgsin 15°= (0.4)(R) , right?
But why isn't R = mgcos 15°? (By resolving forces ⊥ to the plane) ?

Janiceleong26 said:
mgsin 15° - mgsin 15° = m(0)
You forgot μ:wink:! You get the relation between the angle of incline and μ from that equation.

Janiceleong26 said:
Why is friction 0 on a horizontal plane? I'm sorry, but I don't understand.. how do we know that the case doesn't move when μN is not zero?
When you push to move the case, you'll discover that you have to push harder than ##\mu N = \mu mg## before it starts moving. So apparently the maximum friction force pushes back to the tume of about 64 N.
But if you stop pushing the case doesn't start accelerating towards you, so apparently the friction force is then zero ! Even though ##\mu N## is still 64 N.

We're having two intertwined threads now; too complicated. I leave you to cnh, he's good !

Likes cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
You forgot μ:wink:! You get the relation between the angle of incline and μ from that equation.
Hmm but I thought mgsin 15° is μR?

BvU said:
When you push to move the case, you'll discover that you have to push harder than ##\mu N = \mu mg## before it starts moving. So apparently the maximum friction force pushes back to the tume of about 64 N.
But if you stop pushing the case doesn't start accelerating towards you, so apparently the friction force is then zero ! Even though ##\mu N## is still 64 N.

We're having two intertwined threads now; too complicated. I leave you to cnh, he's good !
Ok ok thanks for you help !

Janiceleong26 said:
mgsin 15° is μR
Just before the case starts sliding, this is true. So, how would you modify the above equation and get some relation between angle of incline and μ?

cnh1995 said:
Just before the case starts sliding, this is true. So, how would you modify the above equation and get some relation between angle of incline and μ?
Frictional force, μR =mgsin θ ?

Janiceleong26 said:
Frictional force, μR =mgsin θ ?
Yes. But what is R in terms of mg and θ?

cnh1995 said:
Yes. But what is R in terms of mg and θ?
R=mg sinθ / μ ?

Janiceleong26 said:
Is my normal reaction force, R=mgcos15° , correct?

Oh, R= mg cos θ
Hmm.. Then is my working above, at post #1 correct?

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh, R= mg cos θ
Correct.
Janiceleong26 said:
Hmm.. Then is my working above, at post #1 correct?
Your acceleration was negative. That's not possible. BvU has explained it in an earlier post.You can now substitute the value of R in the above equation and get a relation between μ and θ.

The whole point in doing all this is to understand how the angle of incline and friction co-efficient are related. From the relation, you can see if the case is at rest or is sliding at a particular angle of incline. You can also calculate its acceleration then.

cnh1995 said:
Correct.

Your acceleration was negative. That's not possible. BvU has explained it in an earlier post.You can now substitute the value of R in the above equation and get a relation between μ and θ.
mgsin θ - μ (mgcos θ) = ma
But μ(mgcos θ) > mgsinθ
Does this means it is in equilibrium?

Janiceleong26 said:
mgsin θ - μ (mgcos θ) = ma
But μ(mgcos θ) > mgsinθ
Does this means it is in equilibrium?
Yes. As BvU said, μmgcosθ is the "maximum" frictional force exerted by the incline at that particular angle θ. Where exactly are you confused?

Assume the inclination is θ, mgsinθ=10N and μmgcosθ=15N. This means, the incline will exert "maximum" 15N frictional force. In this case, frictional force will be only 10N since it is sufficient to keep the case at rest. If mgsinθ=14N, friction will also be 14N, which is required to keep the case at rest. If mgsinθ=15N, now maximum frictional force of 15N will be exerted, still keeping the case at rest. But if mgsinθ=16N, the friction will be 15N only, since it is the maximum possible value, decided by μ. If mgsinθ is anything above 15N, friction will always be 15N i.e. maximum friction. The incline will do its best to resist the motion by applying "maximum" friction. But maximum friction will come into picture only when mgsinθ≥ μmgcosθ. If mgsinθ<μmgcosθ, frictional force will also be less than μmgcosθ i.e.equal to mgsinθ. Hope this helps!

cnh1995 said:
Yes. As BvU said, μmgcosθ is the "maximum" frictional force exerted by the incline at that particular angle θ. Where exactly are you confused?
Oh it is resting in equilibrium, is it? Because mgsin θ < μ(mgcosθ)
Sorry, I misread the answer. I thought it isn't in equilibrium.
I perfectly got it already, thank you so much for your help ! :smile:

cnh1995 said:
Assume the inclination is θ, mgsinθ=10N and μmgcosθ=15N. This means, the incline will exert "maximum" 15N frictional force. In this case, frictional force will be only 10N since it is sufficient to keep the case at rest. If mgsinθ=14N, friction will also be 14N, which is required to keep the case at rest. If mgsinθ=15N, now maximum frictional force of 15N will be exerted, still keeping the case at rest. But if mgsinθ=16N, the friction will be 15N only, since it is the maximum possible value, decided by μ. If mgsinθ is anything above 15N, friction will always be 15N i.e. maximum friction. The incline will do its best to resist the motion by applying "maximum" friction. But maximum friction will come into picture only when mgsinθ≥ μmgcosθ. If mgsinθ<μmgcosθ, frictional force will also be less than μmgcosθ i.e.equal to mgsinθ. Hope this helps!
Thank you again ! :smile:

cnh1995 said:
Oh, it is in equilibrium! Sorry, I thought it wasn't in equilibrium the whole time!
Ok thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! :smile:

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh, it is in equilibrium! Sorry, I thought it wasn't in equilibrium the whole time!
Ok thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! :smile:
You are welcome!

Likes Janiceleong26
Further, you can calculate upto what angle of inclination will the case be in equilibrium using the general relation between μ and θ. Good luck!

Likes Janiceleong26

Related to Frictional force on an inclined plane

What is frictional force on an inclined plane?

The frictional force on an inclined plane is the force that resists the motion of an object as it moves along the surface of the inclined plane. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the surface it is moving on.

How is frictional force calculated on an inclined plane?

The frictional force on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted by the inclined plane on the object.

What factors affect the frictional force on an inclined plane?

The main factors that affect the frictional force on an inclined plane are the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the angle of the inclined plane. The roughness of the surface and the speed of the object can also have an impact on the frictional force.

How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the frictional force?

The angle of the inclined plane has a direct effect on the frictional force. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in the frictional force. This is because the component of the object's weight that acts parallel to the inclined plane decreases as the angle increases.

What is the relationship between frictional force and the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

The frictional force on an inclined plane always acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. If the object is moving up the inclined plane, the frictional force will act downwards, and if the object is moving down the inclined plane, the frictional force will act upwards.