Frictional charging and weight of the body involved

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between charging a body by rubbing it and its weight. It is stated that weight is the gravitational force exerted on the body and it varies from place to place. The conversation also mentions that charged objects have different numbers of protons and that electrons have weight. The conclusion is that the answer to the question is option (a) - the weight may slightly increase or slightly decrease. However, the respondent does not confirm the correctness of this answer, as they believe it is important for the asker to understand the physics behind the answer themselves.
logearav

Homework Statement

If a body is charged by rubbing it, its weight
a) may slightly increase of slightly decrease
b) increases slightly
c) decreases slightly
d) remains constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know weight is nothing but gravitational force exerted on the body and it acts vertically downward. If a body is charged by rubbing one is positive and other is negative. I also know weight varies from place to place since W = mg, and the value of g vary from place to place. So when charged by friction one has more protons(positive charged body) and other has less number of protons(negative charged body), so when used in the formula weight may changed. So i feel the answer is weight may slightly increase or slightly decrease, that is option (a). Am i correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
logearav said:
I know weight is nothing but gravitational force exerted on the body and it acts vertically downward. If a body is charged by rubbing one is positive and other is negative. I also know weight varies from place to place since W = mg,
Different objects may have different weights.
and the value of g vary from place to place.
true but not relevant to this problem since you are not changing where you are.
So when charged by friction one has more protons(positive charged body) and other has less number of protons(negative charged body),
It's the electrons that move - but otherwise your reasoning is sound
so when used in the formula weight may changed. So i feel the answer is weight may slightly increase or slightly decrease, that is option (a). Am i correct?
Basically you want to argue that electrons have weight, and electrons are removed to make a positively charged object and added to make a negatively charged object. Since the sign of the charge is unspecified...

As a policy I don't confirm the correctness or otherwise of your conclusions.
The idea is that you should realize the correctness yourself, by understanding the physics.
(In multi-choice there is a risk a student would just post the question 4 times - each with one answer and asking "is this right"? :) )

Related to Frictional charging and weight of the body involved

1. What is frictional charging?

Frictional charging is the process by which two materials rub against each other and transfer electrons, resulting in an electric charge on both materials.

2. How does frictional charging occur?

Frictional charging occurs when two materials with different electrical properties come into contact and then are separated. As they rub against each other, electrons are transferred from one material to the other, creating a charge imbalance.

3. What factors affect the amount of frictional charging?

The amount of frictional charging depends on the materials involved, the surface area of contact, and the speed and force of rubbing. The type of surface and humidity can also affect the amount of charge produced.

4. How does the weight of the body affect frictional charging?

The weight of the body does not directly affect frictional charging. However, the force applied by the body can influence the amount of friction between materials and therefore affect the amount of charge produced.

5. Can frictional charging be harmful?

In most cases, frictional charging is harmless. However, in certain situations, such as in industrial processes or during lightning strikes, it can be dangerous. It is important to take precautions and understand the potential risks of frictional charging.