Friction with two stacked blocks and friction

In summary: For the top block I have:T-.32(1.05)=M*AxFor the bottom block I have:Sum of forces in x = M*Ax For the top block I have:T-.32(1.05)=M*AxFor the bottom block I have:Sum of forces in x = M*Ax
EEintraining

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:

Block A in the figure weighs 1.05 , and block B weighs 3.90 . The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.32. Find the magnitude of the horizontal force necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if and are connected by a light, flexible cord passing around a fixed, frictionless pulley.See the attachment for a picture.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44607&stc=1&d=1330645523

Homework Equations

ƩFx=Max, Friction=uk*n

The Attempt at a Solution

My FBD for the upper block has N going up MG going down Fk going left and T going right (positive)

My FBD for lower has N going up MG going down (I included both weights) Tension and then both frictions going to the right, and the force required going to the left (which i made positive for this one)

I am not sure what i am missing in solving this. Help me see if I have the right set up please. For the bottem block I have:

Sum of forces in x = M*Ax

Pull - Tension - .32(4.95) -.32(1.05)= M*Ax

For the top block I have:

T-.32(1.05)=M*Ax

Am I correct for these equations, especially in the bottem block where I have subtracted both tensions, I am assuming this is correct because the table exerts friction but so would the top block as it is sliding across the top block.

Attachments

• YF-05-68.jpg
    YF-05-68.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 2,744
Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct if you specify what M*Ax means in both equations.

ehild

M*Ax is mass * accel in the x direction from Newton 2

Sum of forces in x = mass time accel in x

Can you possibly point me in the direction of what i am missing... i have 3 equations with 2 unknowns right now.

EEintraining said:
M*Ax is mass * accel in the x direction from Newton 2

Sum of forces in x = mass time accel in x

Is it the same for both blocks??

ehild

EEintraining said:
Can you possibly point me in the direction of what i am missing... i have 3 equations with 2 unknowns right now.

You meant two equation with three unknowns, didn't you?

What do you know about the tension along a single rope ?

Do you know the acceleration if the blocks if they move along a straight line with constant speed?

ehild

Ehild thanks for your help yeah I did mean 2 eq and 3 unknown. After looking at this question that was exactly what I was was missing I must have read it too quickly constant speed tells me exactly what the acceleration is.

You are welcome. :smile:

ehild

Related to Friction with two stacked blocks and friction

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect two stacked blocks?

When two blocks are stacked on top of each other, friction between the two surfaces can prevent the top block from sliding or falling off the bottom block.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between the two blocks?

The amount of friction between two stacked blocks can be affected by the type of surfaces, the force pressing the blocks together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How can friction be reduced between two stacked blocks?

Friction can be reduced between two stacked blocks by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces. The use of smoother surfaces or reducing the force pressing the blocks together can also decrease friction.

5. How is friction important in our daily lives?

Friction is important in our daily lives as it allows us to walk without slipping, helps us grip objects, and allows vehicles to move on roads. It also plays a role in controlling the speed and direction of objects in sports and other activities.