Friction: Snooker Ball Mass & Speed Calculation

In summary, a snooker ball of mass 0.4kg is struck towards a cushion from 0.8m away with speed 3m/s. The surface of the snooker table has a coefficient of friction of 0.3. When the ball bounces from the cushion its speed is reduced by 20%.
Shah 72
MHB
A snooker ball of mass 0.4kg is struck towards a cushion from 0.8m away with speed 3m/s. The surface of the snooker table has a coefficient of friction of 0.3. When the ball bounces from the cushion its speed is reduced by 20%. Find how far from the cushion it stops.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
show your work on this problem, please

I have a basic problem with this. A snooker ball primarily rolls with only a slight amount of sliding. The coefficient of friction only applies to the sliding. To answer this you would have to know what part of the motion was sliding and I see no way to determine that.

skeeter said:
m=0.4kg, u=3m/s, coefficient of friction =0.3
By using Newtons law
F=m×a
-0.3×4=0.4a
a=-3m/s^2,
By using v^2=u^2+2as, v=2.05m/s when the ball hits the cushion
The speed decreases by 20%, so 2.05×0.8=1.64m/s. Again using v^2=u^2+2as, I get s=0.25m

skeeter said:
Oh sorry I had done a silly mistake. So initial velocity is 3 and when it hits the cushion, the final velocity is 2.05 m/s , this is reduced by 20% so now u= 1.64 m/s and v=0 ( as the ball stops) so the distance will be 0.448m

Country Boy said:
I have a basic problem with this. A snooker ball primarily rolls with only a slight amount of sliding. The coefficient of friction only applies to the sliding. To answer this you would have to know what part of the motion was sliding and I see no way to determine that.
Thanks! I could work out the solution.

I am glad. How did you handle the "rolling versus sliding" problem?

Country Boy said:
I am glad. How did you handle the "rolling versus sliding" problem?
I just guessed rolling. Iam still in A levels so probably my textbook doesn't get into so much detail.

If there were pure rolling, there would be NO friction!

Country Boy said:
If there were pure rolling, there would be NO friction!
Yeah you are right.

Related to Friction: Snooker Ball Mass & Speed Calculation

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect snooker balls?

Friction affects snooker balls by slowing them down as they roll across the table, making them come to a stop.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on a snooker ball?

The amount of friction on a snooker ball is affected by the weight of the ball, the type and condition of the table surface, and the force applied to the ball.

4. How can the mass and speed of a snooker ball be calculated using friction?

The mass and speed of a snooker ball can be calculated by using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force of friction, m is the mass of the ball, and a is the acceleration due to friction. By measuring the force of friction and the acceleration, the mass and speed of the ball can be determined.

5. How can friction be reduced on a snooker table?

Friction can be reduced on a snooker table by using a smoother and cleaner table surface, reducing the weight of the balls, and using a lubricant or powder on the table.