Friction problem on inclined plane

In summary, the conversation involves questions about a mass on a rough inclined plane and the calculation of its speed at the bottom of the plane and the coefficient of kinetic friction on a horizontal surface. It involves the use of equations and calculations to determine the answers to the questions. The main approach is to consider the conservation of mechanical energy and factor in the angle in the force of friction.
jhrnndz1
Alright, I have another question that I want to make sure I did correct. The question is "an objec of mass m is at rest on a rough inclined plane with height h, length 8 m, and which makes an angle of 30degrees with the horizontal. The object is allowed to move and it stops on a rough horizontal surface, at a distance of 4m from the botton of the inclined plane as shown. The coefficient of kinetic friction on the inclined plane is 0.4 and g=10m/s^2.

What is the speed of the object ast the bottom of the inclined plane?

Alright i used the equation KEfinal -PEfinal = KEinitial -PEinitial, put in the numbers and calculated the velocity to be 12.65 m/s.

The second questin is...

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for the horizontal surface?

I used the equation Normal force = Force of weight and got

mass*gravity*distance *coefficient of kinetic friction = mass*gravity*distance*coefficient of friction on the incline.

I canceled the mass and the gravity and put in the numbers,

(4m for distance on horizontal0*(uk)= distance of 4 m, (which i obtained from sin30=8/d)*cos30degrees*0.4(the planes coefficient of friction).

I then solved for the coefficient of fricton from the horizontal and calculated 0.35.

(Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do NOT have conservation of mechanical energy, since friction is present!

So, for part A, would I first find the Wnc=-ukmgd, and then set that equal to change of KE + the change of PE?

jhrnndz1 said:
So, for part A, would I first find the Wnc=-ukmgd, and then set that equal to change of KE + the change of PE?
You have to factor in the angle. The force of friction is [itex]\mu_kNg[/itex] where N is the component of the block's weight perpendicular to the inclined surface. Apart from that, your approach is right.

AM

Related to Friction problem on inclined plane

1. What is friction and how does it affect objects on an inclined plane?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of objects when they come into contact with each other. On an inclined plane, friction can either help an object move down the plane or prevent it from sliding down too quickly.

2. How do you calculate the friction force on an inclined plane?

The friction force on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force on the object.

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the friction force?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the friction force because a steeper angle will result in a greater normal force and thus a greater friction force. As the angle decreases, the normal force and friction force will also decrease.

4. How can we reduce friction on an inclined plane?

Friction on an inclined plane can be reduced by using a lubricant or by making the surface of the plane smoother. Additionally, decreasing the angle of the plane can also reduce friction.

5. What is the relationship between friction and the weight of an object on an inclined plane?

The weight of an object on an inclined plane affects the friction force because it determines the normal force. As the weight of the object increases, the normal force and friction force will also increase.