Friction of a car going in circles

In summary, the problem involves a car with a weight of 900 kg driving at a constant speed of 110 km/h on a racetrack with a radius of 100 meters. The friction coefficient between the tires and the track is 0.980. The car's acceleration is calculated to be 9.34 m/s2 and the size of the friction, using the equation for kinetic friction, is 8.65 kN. However, this answer may be incorrect and further assistance is needed.
Smifsret

Homework Statement

A car that weighs 900 kilograms is driving around a racetrack, the radius of the racetrack is 100 meters. Thecar has a constant speed of 110 km/h. The friction coefficient between the tires and the track is 0.980.

Decide:

a) The car's acceleration
b) The size of the friction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a to 9.34 m/s2 which I believe is correct. I'm having a much harder time with b which I get to 8,65 kN which I know is incorrect.Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
could you show some equations you found

Ok I tried the Latex thing but I couldn't figure it out so i'll just write normally.

For the acceleration I used a = v2 / r = 30.52 / 100 = 9,34.

The second one is the one I'm sure must be wrong but I don't know what else to try. I'm using the equation for kinetic friction fk=[tex]\mu[/tex]k*n which should be simply 0.98*900*9.80 =8652.42 = 8.65 kN but that isn't the answer.

Related to Friction of a car going in circles

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces interacting with each other.

2. How does friction affect a car going in circles?

When a car is going in circles, the tires need to continuously grip and release the road surface. Friction between the tires and the road helps to maintain the car's movement in a circular path.

3. What factors affect the friction of a car going in circles?

The amount of friction depends on the weight of the car, the type and condition of the tires, the surface of the road, and the speed and direction of the car's movement.

4. Can friction cause a car to skid while going in circles?

Yes, if the friction between the tires and the road is not enough to keep the car in a circular path, the car may start to skid. This is why it is important to have well-maintained tires and to drive at appropriate speeds.

5. How can friction be increased or decreased in a car going in circles?

Friction can be increased by using tires with better grip, driving at slower speeds, and choosing roads with rougher surfaces. It can be decreased by using tires with less grip, driving at higher speeds, and choosing smoother roads.