Friction in a simple mathematical pendulum

In summary, friction in a simple mathematical pendulum refers to the resistance force that opposes the motion of the pendulum. It is caused by factors such as air resistance and surface roughness, and can significantly affect the accuracy and stability of the pendulum's swing. Accounting for friction is important in accurately predicting the behavior of a pendulum and its oscillations. Different mathematical models and techniques have been developed to account for the effects of friction in a simple mathematical pendulum.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
How do I guarantee that that the friction in the movement of a simple mathematical pendulum is negligible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a heavy weight, minimize air resistance, use diamonds for bearings, etc...

BvU said:
Use a heavy weight, minimize air resistance, use diamonds for bearings, etc...
Heavy weight compared to the stand that the pendulum is situated on it, or something else?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Heavy weight compared to
the air that has to be pushed aside for the pendulum to move. Can also be achieved by putting the whole thing in vacuo.

friction in the movement of a simple mathematical pendulum is negligible?
To what purpose ? Saving energy, building a pepertuum mobile, verifying ##T=2\pi \sqrt{g\over l}##, other ?

Familiar with the Reversible (Kater's) Pendulum ?

BvU said:
the air that has to be pushed aside for the pendulum to move. Can also be achieved by putting the whole thing in vacuo.

To what purpose ? Saving energy, building a pepertuum mobile, verifying ##T=2\pi \sqrt{g\over l}##, other ?

Familiar with the Reversible (Kater's) Pendulum ?
Verifying the formula.

The link you gave is for the physical pendulum, I referred to the mathematical point mass pendulum.

I should have said that it's point mass.

There's a good expression for ##T## with damping, so you can measure the damping by following the amplitude as a function of time (all pendula have damping) and correct ##T##. Depending on the accuracy of your measurements (in particular: L!), you can allow quite a bit of damping before such a correction becomes the main source of inaccuracy.

it's point mass
Do they exist ? What are you doing to verify this T formula ?

link you gave is for the physical pendulum
Nice thing about that one is that it is the exact equivalent of a mathematical pendulum.

Don't see no point mass ...
So you want to ask yourself:

With what accuracy can I measure L and T
Do I need to correct for damping ? How much damping is there ?
What is the correction to T for the fact that this is a ball and not a point mass ?

BvU said:
Don't see no point mass ...
The post has been removed because it contained a picture in which some personal information could be seen.

Only looked at the picture when it was still there.

Way I meant it was that a ##\ \ \approx## 1 inch diameter metal ball is not a point mass.

BvU said:
Only looked at the picture when it was still there.

Way I meant it was that a ##\ \ \approx## 1 inch diameter metal ball is not a point mass.
So I guess it should work as a mathematical pendulum when the angle of release of the ball is small.

How do I find the limits of small angles appropriate for a suitable mass?

How do I find the limits of small angles appropriate for a suitable mass
Experiment ! :smile:

[edit] and of course, nowadays you also use your big brother friend google for a peek at the expression ... ##\qquad## :wink:

@BvU but can't I know from theory what to check for?

was one step ahead of you :smile: see #14

BvU said:
Experiment ! :smile:

[edit] and of course, nowadays you also use your big brother friend google for a peek at the expression ... ##\qquad## :wink:
Good to know there's big brother.

I feel like there's no more need to work, everything is in the net nowadays :-D

Yes, why bother trying to determine ##g## when you can also look it up ?:)

Picture when still there showed a 1" steel ball hanging from two nylon wires attached to a rod. Pendulum length will already be difficult to measure accurately.

The patent application linked in post #19 issued as Patent #9,291,742 in 2016. It's assigned to Micro-g LaCoste, Inc. (http://microglacoste.com), a company that makes gravimeters. They make a portable model that measures gravity with an accuracy of better than 10 micro gals (1E-8 G). They have over a dozen patents on gravity meters.

Someone linked a paper here a few years back, that gave expressions for a dozen or more corrections to the simple formula. They accounted for the non-small angle, the mass of the string, and a bunch more that I don't recall. I can't find it right now but a good search should turn it up.

Related to Friction in a simple mathematical pendulum

1. What is friction in a simple mathematical pendulum?

Friction in a simple mathematical pendulum is the resistance force that opposes the motion of the pendulum as it swings back and forth.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a simple mathematical pendulum?

Friction can cause the pendulum to slow down and eventually come to a stop due to the loss of energy caused by the friction force.

3. How can friction be minimized in a simple mathematical pendulum?

Friction can be minimized by using a smooth and lubricated pivot point for the pendulum and reducing air resistance by using a streamlined shape for the pendulum bob.

4. How is friction calculated in a simple mathematical pendulum?

The friction force in a simple mathematical pendulum can be calculated using the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the angle of the pendulum's swing.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction in a simple mathematical pendulum?

Some real-life examples of friction in a simple mathematical pendulum include a grandfather clock, a playground swing, and a metronome.