Friction in a contact between a pulley and a string

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for friction in a system involving a disk, pulley, and hanging mass connected to rotation sensors. The variables include tension, hanging mass, pulley radius, disk mass, disk radius, and angular acceleration. The equations used are torque and net force, with the question of how friction is typically determined.
Elleboys

Homework Statement

I need to find a formula for the friction in the system.
I had a disk and a pulley connected to a rotation sensor on each side.
I wrapped a pulley with a string and there was a small mass attached to the bottom.
As I let that mass fall, it would fall and spin a pulley.
What would be the formula for the friction in the system?

*Given variables are T, Hanging mass, pulley radius, disk mass, disk radius, and angular acceleration

Homework Equations

Torque = I(mr^2)*(angular acceleration)
Fnet = Fg-T-Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Does the string slip over the pulley?

How is friction usually figured out?

Related to Friction in a contact between a pulley and a string

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

How does friction occur in a contact between a pulley and a string?

Friction occurs in a contact between a pulley and a string when the two surfaces rub against each other, creating resistance and making it difficult for the string to slide smoothly over the pulley.

What factors can affect the level of friction in a pulley and string contact?

The level of friction in a pulley and string contact can be affected by the texture of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

How can friction be reduced in a pulley and string contact?

Friction can be reduced in a pulley and string contact by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to create a layer between the two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother materials for the pulley and string can also help reduce friction.

What are some real-life applications of friction in a pulley and string contact?

Friction in a pulley and string contact is used in many everyday objects, such as elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. It is also an important concept in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of motion and mechanics.