Friction Force: When Does it Provide Motion?

In summary: But, what about standing on a very slipper surface that makes everyone cannot stand on it? I remember that maximum static force is μ*N , but what is the normal force? Is it equal to the weight of my foot only or my whole body?I think it must be kinetic friction right since my foot is going from 0 m/s to some velocity, right?'Kinetic friction always exceeds static friction.
terryds
Is there any case example where the friction force DOESNOT oppose the motion, but rather PROVOKES the motion of some object?

I wondered about this all day long :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction opposes slipping between surfaces, not necessarily the motion of an object.

Doc Al said:
Friction opposes slipping between surfaces, not necessarily the motion of an object.

Is there any example case where the friction force direction is the same as the motion of the object?

terryds said:
Is there any example case where the friction force direction is the same as the motion of the object?
Sure. You can set up one yourself. Stack two books on top of each other on a table. Push the bottom book along. Friction moves the top book and acts in the same direction as its motion.

Doc Al said:
Sure. You can set up one yourself. Stack two books on top of each other on a table. Push the bottom book along. Friction moves the top book and acts in the same direction as its motion.
Ah, you're right!

But, is it correct if I say that all the friction force that can do this is only the static frictional force??

Is there any kinetic frictional force that provokes this situation?

terryds said:
But, is it correct if I say that all the friction force that can do this is only the static frictional force??
No.
terryds said:
Is there any kinetic frictional force that provokes this situation?
Sure. Just push the bottom book hard enough so that the top book begins to slip. The kinetic friction acting on the top book acts in its direction of motion.

Likes terryds
Doc Al said:
No.

Sure. Just push the bottom book hard enough so that the top book begins to slip. The kinetic friction acting on the top book acts in its direction of motion.

Thanks!

But, may I ask you something more?
If a person walks, does it mean that the friction force provokes the forward motion?
Is the friction force the same as reaction forc (Newton 3rd Law)?

terryds said:
If a person walks, does it mean that the friction force provokes the forward motion?
Sure. Without friction, you won't be able to start moving (or regulate your steps). Your feet would just keep slipping.

terryds said:
Is the friction force the same as reaction forc (Newton 3rd Law)?
Not sure what you mean. Friction is an interaction between two surfaces: The surfaces exert equal and opposite friction forces against each other, per Newton's 3rd law.

Doc Al said:
Sure. Without friction, you won't be able to start moving (or regulate your steps).Not sure what you mean. Friction is an interaction between two surfaces: The surfaces exert equal and opposite friction forces against each other, per Newton's 3rd law.

There are two thoughts of mine about it:

1. The friction force is just to prevent you from slipping, but not push your foot forward. The force that push the foot forward is the reaction force because I have pushed my foot onto the floor first.
2. The friction force prevents from slipping and also generate the forward motion of the foot

Which one is right?

terryds said:
There are two thoughts of mine about it:

1. The friction force is just to prevent you from slipping, but not push your foot forward. The force that push the foot forward is the reaction force because I have pushed my foot onto the floor first.
2. The friction force prevents from slipping and also generate the forward motion of the foot

Which one is right?
I'd say that the second is more accurate. Realize that the force the floor exerts on you has two components: a normal component and a 'parallel' component. That parallel component is due to friction. Of course, without the normal force there would be no friction.

Imagine you are placed on a frictionless surface. The normal force is still there, but without friction you are stuck.

Likes terryds
Doc Al said:
I'd say that the second is more accurate. Realize that the force the floor exerts on you has two components: a normal component and a 'parallel' component. That parallel component is due to friction. Of course, without the normal force there would be no friction.

Imagine you are placed on a frictionless surface. The normal force is still there, but without friction you are stuck.

In this case, is it kinetic or static friction that exerts on my foot?
I think it must be kinetic friction right since my foot is going from 0 m/s to some velocity, right?'

But, what about standing on a very slipper surface that makes everyone cannot stand on it? I remember that maximum static force is μ*N , but what is the normal force? Is it equal to the weight of my foot only or my whole body?
In this case, what force exceeds the μ*N? (I can't think of any force since I stand still (no acceleration))

terryds said:
In this case, is it kinetic or static friction that exerts on my foot?
I think it must be kinetic friction right since my foot is going from 0 m/s to some velocity, right?'
No. Unless your foot slips, the friction is static.

terryds said:
But, what about standing on a very slipper surface that makes everyone cannot stand on it? I remember that maximum static force is μ*N , but what is the normal force? Is it equal to the weight of my foot only or my whole body?
The normal force will support the entire weight of your body. I suppose you can perhaps stand there, but the slightest movement and you'll begin to slip.

terryds said:
In this case, what force exceeds the μ*N? (I can't think of any force since I stand still (no acceleration))
Not sure what you mean. In any case, for a 'perfectly slippery' surface, μ = 0.

Doc Al said:
No. Unless your foot slips, the friction is static.The normal force will support the entire weight of your body. I suppose you can perhaps stand there, but the slightest movement and you'll begin to slip.Not sure what you mean. In any case, for a 'perfectly slippery' surface, μ = 0.

So, if I stand still (without any movement at all) on the floor with friction, and suddenly, the floor changed somehow into frictionless one, I won't slip and fall, right?

terryds said:
So, if I stand still (without any movement at all) on the floor with friction, and suddenly, the floor changed somehow into frictionless one, I won't slip and fall, right?
I wouldn't count on that. We typically rely on friction to keep our legs in place. But assuming that you could stand in such a way as to exert no horizontal force on the ground, you'd still be standing with friction removed.

Related to Friction Force: When Does it Provide Motion?

What is friction force?

Friction force is a force that resists the relative motion or tendency of motion between two surfaces in contact.

What factors affect the strength of friction force?

The strength of friction force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the applied force, and the presence of lubricants.

When does friction force provide motion?

Friction force provides motion when it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and is strong enough to overcome the force of inertia or any other opposing forces.

How does friction force affect the movement of objects?

Friction force can either help or hinder the movement of objects. It can help by providing the necessary grip or traction for an object to move, but it can also hinder movement by creating resistance or slowing down the object's motion.

Can friction force be reduced or eliminated?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, smoother surfaces, or reducing the force applied. It can also be eliminated in a vacuum or between perfectly smooth surfaces. However, some level of friction force will always be present in real-world situations.