Friction Force on a System at Rest

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a system at rest with two blocks, a 5kg block with friction and a 3kg block with no friction. The solution involves calculating the maximum static friction and comparing it to the actual friction in the system, which leads to a discrepancy and potential error in the problem.
odie5533

Homework Statement

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2514/diagramfn4.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum F_{x} = w_{x} - T = m_{x}a[/tex]
[tex]T = (6.9)g - (6.9)a[/tex]

[tex]\sum F_{a} = T - w_{a} - f_{s} = m_{a}a[/tex]
[tex]T - m_{a}g - m_{a}a = f_{s}[/tex]
[tex](6.9g - 6.9a) - m_{a}g - m_{a}a = f_{s}[/tex]
I don't see a 5kg block with friction, but I do see a 3kg block with friction:
[tex]6.9g - 6.9a - 3g - 3a = f_{s}[/tex]
[tex]3.9g - 9.9a = f_{s}[/tex]

Since the system is at rest, [tex]a = 0[/tex]
[tex]38N = f_{s}[/tex]
So the answer is B

But I have two problems with my answer:
1) [tex]f_{s-max} = (0.40)(50) = 20N < 38N[/tex] in my answer
2) Using the "5kg" block, [tex]f_{s} = 19N[/tex]

Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like the 3 kg was a typo and they meant to write 5 kg. (Otherwise the problem doesn't work, as you point out.)

I would like to clarify a few things about your response. First, it is important to note that the homework statement provided does not specify the mass of the block with friction, so it is possible that the 5kg block is indeed the one with friction. However, assuming that the 3kg block is the one with friction, your solution is correct.

Regarding your concerns, it is important to remember that the maximum static friction force (f_{s-max}) is the maximum force that can act before the object starts to move. In this case, since the system is at rest, the static friction force must be less than or equal to the maximum static friction force. Therefore, your answer of 38N is still within the limit of the maximum static friction force of 20N.

In addition, the value of f_{s} can vary depending on the mass of the block and the coefficient of friction. In your calculation, you used a mass of 5kg, while in the homework statement, the mass of the block is not specified. Therefore, it is possible that the value of f_{s} can be different in different scenarios.

Overall, your solution is correct and you have not missed anything. It is important to carefully consider the given information and assumptions when solving problems in physics.

Related to Friction Force on a System at Rest

What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that resists the motion of an object or surface when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

What causes friction force?

Friction force is caused by the microscopic irregularities and roughness of the surfaces in contact with each other.

How is friction force measured?

Friction force is measured in units of force, such as newtons (N), and can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

What factors affect friction force?

The magnitude of friction force depends on the types of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the coefficient of friction between the surfaces.

How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing surfaces, or changing the materials of the surfaces in contact.