Friction force in Newton's law

In summary, the minimum force that needs to be applied to the block in order to "win" against static friction is 12N.
theunloved
A block of mass m1 = 4 kg is put on top of a block of mass m2 = 5 kg. To cause the top block to slip on the bottom one while the bottom one is held fixed, a horizontal force of at least 12N must be applied to the top block. The assembly of blocks is now placed on a horizontal, frictionless table. Find the magnitude of
a. The max. horizontal force F that can be applied to the lower block so that the block will move together
b. The resulting acceleration of the blocks.

Ok, so I'm not here to ask for how to do it, not yet ;). I'm here to ask if anyone here could explain the problem to me, especially the one that is bold. I have no idea what they are talking about...Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understood it corretly, it basically means this:

the minimum force applied to the block in order to "win" against static friction - which is holding the block in its place - is 12N.
To help visualize things: just forget about the bottom block.
Pretend the block you want to move is on the ground. Can you understand why the minimum force is 12N?

U.Renko said:
If I understood it corretly, it basically means this:

the minimum force applied to the block in order to "win" against static friction - which is holding the block in its place - is 12N.
To help visualize things: just forget about the bottom block.
Pretend the block you want to move is on the ground. Can you understand why the minimum force is 12N?

Yes, now I got it, so basically if it's put on the ground, 12N is the minimum force that you need to apply in order to move it. So fs maximum will be 12 N, right ? and since we have fs = us * mg = 12N, we could find coefficient of static friction...uhm, or coefficient of kinetic friction ? wasn't it called uk when its moving and us when its not ? I got confused again... :(((

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is a resistive force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other, and it is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that prevent them from sliding smoothly over each other.

2. How is friction force related to Newton's laws?

According to Newton's first law, an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Friction force is the force that opposes the motion of an object and keeps it at rest. In other words, it is the force that must be overcome in order for an object to start moving.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of friction force?

The magnitude of friction force depends on the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the normal force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Friction force is also affected by the presence of lubricants, temperature, and speed of the objects in contact.

4. How is the direction of friction force determined?

The direction of friction force is always opposite to the direction of motion or the tendency of motion. If an object is moving to the right, the friction force will act to the left. If an object is at rest, the friction force will act in the opposite direction of the force that is trying to move the object.

5. Can friction force be beneficial?

Yes, friction force can be beneficial in many ways. It helps us walk, drive, and hold objects without slipping. It also allows vehicles to stop, and helps us write and play musical instruments. In industrial settings, friction force is used to create heat, which can be beneficial for cooking and manufacturing processes.