Friction during pure rolling up an inclined plane.

In summary, the direction of friction in a pure rolling cylinder on an inclined plane is always up the incline, regardless of whether it is going up or down. This is because the frictional force opposes the relative velocity and works to maintain zero velocity and acceleration at the point of contact. If the incline is frictionless, the cylinder will not roll unless an external force is applied to oppose the downward force of gravity.
AlchemistK

Homework Statement

A cylinder is pure rolling up an inclined place. It stops momentarily and the rolls back. In what directions is the force of friction directed during the journey?

The Attempt at a Solution

While going up, the cylinder rotates in the anticlockwise direction, and so the friction acts up the plane. On the other hand, while rolling down, the cylinder rotates clockwise, and so the friction acts downward.
Which of those statements is wrong and why?

(As I started thinking, another query arose in my mind; since it is pure rolling, shouldn't the only friction be static friction? And so should that even have a direction?)

Physics news on Phys.org
AlchemistK said:

Homework Statement

A cylinder is pure rolling up an inclined place. It stops momentarily and the rolls back. In what directions is the force of friction directed during the journey?

The Attempt at a Solution

While going up, the cylinder rotates in the anticlockwise direction, and so the friction acts up the plane. On the other hand, while rolling down, the cylinder rotates clockwise, and so the friction acts downward.
Which of those statements is wrong and why?

(As I started thinking, another query arose in my mind; since it is pure rolling, shouldn't the only friction be static friction? And so should that even have a direction?)
Yes it is static friction. It also has a definite direction.

If the incline were frictionless, would the cylinder's rotational rate change upon going up and down the incline?

SammyS said:
Yes it is static friction. It also has a definite direction.
Does static friction has a direction opposite to relative velocity, just like kinetic friction?

SammyS said:
If the incline were frictionless, would the cylinder's rotational rate change upon going up and down the incline?

Would the cylinder rotate in the first place? There would be no torque to get it started.

And the book says that the answer is that the direction of friction is always up the plane, why is that?

The actual reason for friction to act in pure rolling is :
g sine ( theta ) acting along the incline causes an acceleration on the point of contact of the body. But the body is supposed to be in pure rolling I.e at the point of contact it should have zero velocity and zero acceleration. Since the nature of frictional force is to oppose relative motion making relative velocity zero..it opposes the mg sine ( theta) force and when this friction becomes equal to that value the body will be in pure rolling.

Coming back to the original question...
Whether the body is moving upwards or downwards...mg sine ( theta ) always acts down the incline so frictional force, to oppose the relative velocity , will always act in the direction opposite to it i.e up the incline..
And if the incline is frictionless there is no case of pure rolling unless an external force is applied opposing mg sine ( theta) force
Hope u got d concept...

Last edited:
alex.hs said:
The actual reason for friction to act in pure rolling is : ...

Hope u got d concept...
Hello alex.hs . Welcome to PF !

Do you realize that you've responded to a thread that's over 10 months old ?

I guess I did not observe..:shy:
We are actually learning that topic right now...so when I saw it, I just wanted to answer it.
Anyways...thank you SammyS for letting me know..:smile:

Related to Friction during pure rolling up an inclined plane.

1. What is pure rolling up an inclined plane?

Pure rolling up an inclined plane is a type of motion where a circular object, such as a wheel or ball, moves up an incline without slipping. This means that the point of contact between the object and the incline is always stationary.

2. What causes friction during pure rolling up an inclined plane?

Friction during pure rolling up an inclined plane is caused by the normal force between the object and the incline. As the object moves up the incline, the normal force pushes against the direction of motion, creating a resistive force known as friction.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect friction during pure rolling?

The steeper the incline, the greater the normal force and therefore the greater the friction. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the force of friction also increases, making it more difficult for the object to roll without slipping.

4. Can friction be completely eliminated during pure rolling up an inclined plane?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated during pure rolling up an inclined plane. Even with a perfectly smooth surface, there will always be some microscopic imperfections that cause friction. Additionally, the angle of the incline will always affect the amount of friction present.

5. How can friction during pure rolling be reduced?

Friction during pure rolling can be reduced by using a surface with less texture, such as a smoother material, or by decreasing the angle of the incline. Additionally, lubricants can be used to reduce friction between the object and the incline.