[Friction] Angled bar pressing down against a plate

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the equation for the normal force on a workpiece when the bar is at an angle.
bartersnarter

Homework Statement

VIfUiu2.png

This is my problem in all its glory.

Homework Equations

f = uN

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I simply did that tan(alpha) = f/N and therefore alpha = arctan(f/N).
This simplifies to alpha = arctan(u). I believe this part is correct.

The second part of this question is what gets me. I set up the sum of the moments for the bar.
My equation is: W*sin(alpha)*L/2 - N*sin(alpha)*L + f*cos(alpha)*L = 0

Algebra gave me that N = - W*sin(alpha) / [2*(u*cos(alpha) - sin(alpha)]

I made a FBD for the plate and the equations I got were that F - f = 0 and Ngroundonplate - N = 0. (The plain N being the normal force of the bar on the plate)

Since f = uN, substitution of N gave me f = - u*W*sin(alpha) / [2*(u*cos(alpha) - sin(alpha)] and then dividing top and bottom by cos(alpha) I got that f = INFINITY.

If this makes sense, can anyone explain how? If it's wrong can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
bartersnarter said:
W*sin(alpha)*L/2 - N*sin(alpha)*L + f*cos(alpha)*L = 0
Which way is f acting on the bar?

If the workpiece is moving to the left, the friction force should be towards the right, shouldn't it?

bartersnarter said:
If the workpiece is moving to the left, the friction force should be towards the right, shouldn't it?
Is that the friction force on the workpiece or the friction force on the bar?

The friction on the workpiece.

bartersnarter said:
The friction on the workpiece.
Ok, but the equation I quoted is in regard to forces on the bar, no?

Ahh, I see now! I had set up that sum of moments for part a and I neglected to alter it for part b. Thanks a bunch!
After altering it I get F = uW/4. This makes much more sense!

Related to [Friction] Angled bar pressing down against a plate

1. How does the angle of the bar affect the amount of friction?

The angle of the bar can have a significant impact on the amount of friction between the bar and the plate. The greater the angle, the more force is applied perpendicular to the surface, resulting in an increase in friction.

2. Is there a specific angle that results in the maximum amount of friction?

There is no specific angle that guarantees the maximum amount of friction. The ideal angle will depend on various factors such as the materials of the bar and plate, the force being applied, and the surface conditions.

3. How does the weight of the bar affect the friction?

The weight of the bar alone does not have a direct impact on the amount of friction. However, a heavier bar may apply more force on the plate, resulting in an increase in friction.

4. Can the surface texture of the bar and plate affect the amount of friction?

Yes, the surface texture plays a significant role in determining the amount of friction. Smoother surfaces will have less friction compared to rougher surfaces due to the reduced contact area.

5. How does the force applied to the bar affect the friction?

The force applied to the bar has a direct influence on the amount of friction. The greater the force, the more friction will be generated between the bar and the plate.