Friction and turning angle relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the turning angle and friction in a car moving in a circular motion. The equation for this relationship is determined by the static friction constant and the car's speed. The angle between the front and rear wheels also plays a role in determining the radius of the circular movement. In order to calculate the car's position in the next frame, the distance between the front and rear wheels must also be taken into account.
Adamolesiak
Hi there,
Suppose we had a car going in a circle. We know that the turning angle(angle between the movement direction and the wheel axis) and the friction are connected, because friction determines the centripetal force and it determines the radius of the circle that we make with our car. I need to know the relation(equation) between that angle and the friction.
We can split it into 2 cases:
1) the centripetal force is not too large for the maximum friction for given materials to be achieved
2) the centripetal force is too big - the car starts drifting

Mostly need the 1), but if someone would be so nice to explain to me the math behind the 2) i would be very grateful.
The computer program I'm writing establishes the movement direction as the direction a sitting still driver would face. In 2), this direction isn't movement direction anymore, which would complicate it

English is my secondary language, so if you could use symbols instead of their spoken equivalents, that would be great.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
suppose you mean on level ground. $$ \mu N=\frac {m v^2} r $$
$$\mu m g = \frac {m v^2} r$$
$$r = \frac {v^2} {\mu g} $$

so your radius is determined by the static friction constant as well as your car's speed.

Yes, ground level and i got to that equation: r = V*V/g*f.
But I need to determine the angle between movement axis and wheel facing axis.
For example you have a car moving at constant speed, with constant friction constant and a constant steering wheel position(which determines the angle).
How to connect the angle with the rest. I think there were some circular acceleration equation or something like that that was giving you a result in radians, but it was so many years ago, I don't remember so well.

Need it to calculate where my car is going to be on my x/y plane in next frame so that i can draw it there and have a working car simulator

The way I see it, the angle between the lines of your front and rear wheel tells the car what radius you are asking for, but where the ground condition (friction) and your car's speed will be able to support that is a different issue. You might end up drifting or even worse.

The angle between front left wheel and rear left wheel, the distance between the 2 wheel will determine the radius of your circular movement, provided no drifting occurs.

Then ## \omega = \frac v r ##, you have your speed, you have your radius (when the angle you mentioned is determined), then ## \theta = \omega t ## can be determined for given t (assuming intial ##\theta ## is 0)

Thanks man, that's what I was looking for.
Wasn't even considering the distance between wheels before, but yes you're right.
Thanks again!

Determine the radius from front&rear left wheel and distance between them is a geometry problem. suppose front left wheel touch the ground at A, rear left wheel touch ground at B, front wheel's direction line meet rear wheel's direction line at C, then the center of the circle O will satisfy OA is perp to AC, and OB is perp to BC.

Related to Friction and turning angle relation

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities and roughness of the surfaces and can be affected by factors such as surface material, weight, and pressure.

2. How does friction affect turning angle?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the turning angle of an object. When an object is in motion, the direction of motion is determined by the net force acting on the object. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can either increase or decrease the turning angle depending on the specific circumstances.

3. What is the relationship between friction and turning angle?

The relationship between friction and turning angle is complex and can vary depending on the specific situation. In general, friction can either increase or decrease the turning angle depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces involved. It is important to consider all the factors at play, such as the surface materials, weight, and pressure, to fully understand the relationship.

4. How can friction be reduced to improve turning angle?

There are several ways to reduce friction and improve turning angle. One way is to use smoother surface materials, such as lubricants or special coatings, to reduce the roughness of the surfaces in contact. Another way is to decrease weight and pressure on the object, which can also reduce the force of friction.

5. How does friction affect the efficiency of turning?

Friction can have a significant impact on the efficiency of turning. In some cases, friction can cause energy loss and decrease the overall efficiency of the turning process. However, in other situations, friction can be beneficial and help with control and stability during turning. It is important to carefully consider the effects of friction when trying to improve the efficiency of turning.