Friction and moving blocks on inclines

In summary, the question is about the distribution of weight in a block and the forces exerted between triangular and square blocks. The vertical component of the force exerted by the square block on each triangle is M*g/2, and the normal force between the blocks has both vertical and horizontal components. The horizontal components of the force exerted by the blocks are equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of 0 horizontally and M*g vertically from both blocks.
WarPhalange
This is a GRE question, but it's so basic I thought I'd just put it here. Here it is with the solution:

http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/6 The answer is "D" by the way.

So my problem is with the way the weight of the block is distributed.

I get that each triangular block only "feels" half of the square block, so M/2 of mass. But then they assume that's the horizontal force via some weird trig that seems pointless (I can't figure out where they get a square-root 2 from).

My understanding was that you get half of the block's weight pushing down on the triangular block, and half pushing it horizontally. So you'd have g*M/4 pushing straight down and (m+M/2)*g*u pushing horizontally, for each block.

Why am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the triangles are frictionless, they can only exert forces perpendicular to their surface. It's the vertical component of that normal force that must equal half the weight of the square block. (The weight of the block does not act directly on the triangles; the only force between block and triangle is the normal force.)

So if the Square Block (SB) is only exerting force downwards due to gravity, F = g*M/2, right?

Then what does the triangular block exert back? g*M/2 in the Normal direction, or g*M in the Normal direction in order to get g*M/2 straight up? If it's the former, it would seem like horizontal force is just g*M/4 in that case. If it's the latter, how come it is "pushing back" with more force than the block is pushing with on it?

WarPhalange said:
So if the Square Block (SB) is only exerting force downwards due to gravity, F = g*M/2, right?
No. That's just the vertical component of the force it exerts on the triangles. Mg is the force of gravity on the block, not the force that the block exerts on the triangles.

It's certainly true that the force the block exerts on the triangle must be equal and opposite to the force that the triangle exerts on the block.

Hold on, there are TWO triangular blocks here. Doesn't each only get g*M/2 of Force exerted on it? Then a further half of that goes towards the horizontal component?

WarPhalange said:
Hold on, there are TWO triangular blocks here. Doesn't each only get g*M/2 of Force exerted on it?
The vertical component of the force exerted on each triangle is g*M/2.
Then a further half of that goes towards the horizontal component?
What do you mean "half"? It's true that the vertical and horizontal components must be equal, since the triangles are at 45 degrees.

Doc Al said:
The vertical component of the force exerted on each triangle is g*M/2.

Sure. Each triangle gets half of the weight distributed on to it due to symmetry, right?

What do you mean "half"? It's true that the vertical and horizontal components must be equal, since the triangles are at 45 degrees.

Okay, so if the Square Block exerts M/2*g force onto a Triangle Block, the Triangle Block exerts M/2*g force back onto the Square Block vertically? Where does the horizontal component come in?

WarPhalange said:
Sure. Each triangle gets half of the weight distributed on to it due to symmetry, right?
As I said before, the vertical component of the force exerted by the block on each triangle equals M*g/2.
Okay, so if the Square Block exerts M/2*g force onto a Triangle Block, the Triangle Block exerts M/2*g force back onto the Square Block vertically? Where does the horizontal component come in?
The force between block and triangle is a normal force which acts perpendicular to the surface of the triangle. It has both vertical and horizontal components.

I suggest drawing a freebody diagram of the triangles.

I have, but I don't know what values to put where.

If the vertical component = M*g/2, then the horizontal is the same, because of the 45 degree incline? So because both the left and right blocks both exert M*g/2 force horizontally, but in opposite directions, the net force is 0 horizontally and only M*g vertically from both blocks, right?

So that much makes sense (if I explained it correctly). I *think* I'm understanding it...

Thanks a lot Doc Al. You really stuck with me even though it looked like I was a lost cause. I appreciate it.

WarPhalange said:
If the vertical component = M*g/2, then the horizontal is the same, because of the 45 degree incline? So because both the left and right blocks both exert M*g/2 force horizontally, but in opposite directions, the net force is 0 horizontally and only M*g vertically from both blocks, right?
Right. Sounds like you've got it now. :wink:

I should hope so, I graduate with a physics BS this coming year. :-p

Related to Friction and moving blocks on inclines

1. What is friction and how does it affect the movement of blocks on inclines?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of blocks on inclines, friction acts in the direction opposite to the movement of the block. This means that it makes it harder for the block to move up or down the incline.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction on a block moving on an incline?

The amount of friction on a block moving on an incline is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the block, and the angle of the incline. Rougher surfaces, heavier blocks, and steeper inclines will have higher amounts of friction.

3. How does the angle of incline affect the movement of a block?

The angle of incline has a significant impact on the movement of a block. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting on the block in the direction of the incline also increases. This means that the block will move faster down the incline. However, the steeper the incline, the greater the amount of friction, which will slow down the block.

4. How does friction affect the energy efficiency of moving blocks on inclines?

Friction plays a crucial role in the energy efficiency of moving blocks on inclines. The more friction there is, the more energy is required to move the block. This means that higher amounts of friction can result in less efficient movement and more energy being wasted.

5. What are some ways to reduce friction when moving blocks on inclines?

There are a few ways to reduce friction when moving blocks on inclines. One way is to use smoother surfaces or add a lubricant between the surfaces to reduce friction. Another way is to decrease the weight of the block, as this will also decrease the force of friction. Lastly, decreasing the angle of incline can also reduce the amount of friction acting on the block.