Friction and Kinematics: Solving for Minimum Time on a Bridge

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve a problem involving a car starting from rest on a half kilometer bridge with a coefficient of friction of 1.0. The conversation mentions the use of kinematic equations and the concept of frictional force pulling the car back. It concludes with the clarification that the net force is what equals "ma" according to Newton's 2nd law.
RandomGuy1

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest on half a kilometer long bridge. The coefficient of friction between the tyre and the road is 1.0. Show that one cannot drive through the bridge in less than 10 seconds. (Take g = 10 m/s2)

Homework Equations

Frictional force = μN
Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just cannot draw the free body diagram. I took the acceleration to be (a - (mu)g) and it got me nowhere. I get the right answer if I consider ma = μN (I get a = 10m/s2 and t = 10s, substituting it in the kinematic equations). But taking ma = μN is like saying the force with which the car is trying to move forward is equal to the force which is pulling it back. But if that is so, how will the car move forward?

Physics news on Phys.org
RandomGuy1 said:
But taking ma = μN is like saying the force with which the car is trying to move forward is equal to the force which is pulling it back. But if that is so, how will the car move forward?
What do you mean by "the force which is pulling it back"? What force is that? Horizontally, there is only a force pushing it forward.

I just cannot draw the free body diagram.
List the forces acting on the car. I see three.

Frictional force is pulling it back. Gravity, Normal Force, Frictional Force are the three forces, right?
If ma is the force with which it is trying to move forward, wouldn't ma being equal to μN mean the car wouldn't move?

Last edited:
RandomGuy1 said:
Frictional force is pulling it back.
No, friction is driving it forward!

Gravity, Normal Force, Frictional Force are the three forces, right?
Right.

If ma is the force with which it is trying to move forward, wouldn't ma being equal to μN mean the car wouldn't move?
"ma" is not a force. It's what the net force equals, per Newton's 2nd law: ƩF = ma.

Oh, that makes more sense :redface:. Thank you, Doc!

Related to Friction and Kinematics: Solving for Minimum Time on a Bridge

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces of objects rubbing against each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either slow down or stop the motion of an object, depending on the surface it is moving on. It can also cause objects to change direction or create heat.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction is affected by the type of surface, the force pushing the objects together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The type of motion and the temperature can also affect friction.

4. How is friction measured?

Friction is measured using a device called a friction force sensor or a spring scale. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction. In some cases, wheels or rollers can be used to minimize friction and make motion easier.