Friction and air resistance of a car travelling down a hill

In summary: The car went down a hill, losing energy in the process. Kinetic energy is a measure of the energy of a moving object. In this case, the car lost 566 kilojoules of energy due to friction and air resistance.
lakefall
A car of mass 1500 kg goes down a hill with a height of 50m. when the car reaches the bottom of the hill the speed is 15 m/s. how much energy was lost due to friction and air resistance?

hey, I am having trouble with my home work T.T I have no clue how to do it if someone can help, much would be much appreciated.

the answer is 566 KJ but i have no clue how to get it.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

At the top of the incline, how much energy does it have? (remember it is at rest here)

At the bottom how much energy does it have? (remember, relative to the ground, the vertical distance is zero)

Hi lakefall and welcome to PF. Please follow the rules of our forum. Use the template for Homework Help, post the relevant equations and show what your thinking is about your question.

rock.freak667 said:
At the top of the incline, how much energy does it have? (remember it is at rest here)

At the bottom how much energy does it have? (remember, relative to the ground, the vertical distance is zero)
I'm not sure if I am doing it right, but I used KE = 1/2mv^2 and KE(final) - KE(initial), I think KE(initial) is 0 because you said it is at rest so 0 m/s = V so its 0. But for the KE(final) i got 168750 which is way off haha.

I think I'm doing it wrong. T.T

kuruman said:
Hi lakefall and welcome to PF. Please follow the rules of our forum. Use the template for Homework Help, post the relevant equations and show what your thinking is about your question.
Hi thanks ^_^ okay ill remember to use that template and cute picture.

Ok, so you found the kinetic energy at the bottom. Where did that kinetic energy come from?

Related to Friction and air resistance of a car travelling down a hill

1. What is friction and air resistance?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the air.

2. How do friction and air resistance affect a car travelling down a hill?

As a car travels down a hill, friction and air resistance act in opposite directions. Friction between the tires and the road helps to slow down the car, while air resistance pushes against the car, slowing it down even more.

3. Can friction and air resistance be reduced?

Yes, friction can be reduced by using smoother tires and applying lubricants. Air resistance can be reduced by making the car more aerodynamic, such as by using a sleek design and reducing any protruding parts.

4. How do different factors affect the amount of friction and air resistance?

The amount of friction is affected by the materials of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the car, and the force pushing the car down the hill. The amount of air resistance is affected by the car's speed, shape, and surface area exposed to the air.

5. Why is it important to consider friction and air resistance when designing cars?

Friction and air resistance can greatly impact the performance and efficiency of a car. By minimizing these forces, cars can travel faster and use less energy, ultimately improving their overall performance and fuel efficiency.