Friction acting on a wheel that is initially at rest

In summary: However, the maximum amount of friction that can be applied is determined by the object's elasticity and deformation.
geko11
Hello everyone,

I have a project of mine where I need to find out the force that acts on a wheel to start it rolling and keep it rolling so I can then select the correct motor and gear box.

I have not had to do this kind of physics for years and I am having trouble with this problem:

If a wheel is initially at rest then the standard static friction equation would apply (F = u*Normal) initially to find the force to get the wheel moving and then the rolling friction force equation would be used to work out the force required to keep it going?

or

Because it is a wheel the initial and ongoing friction would be determined by using the rolling static friction equation in both cases?

I am really confused here and would really appreciate the help.

Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
geko11 said:
If a wheel is initially at rest then the standard static friction equation would apply (F = u*Normal) initially to find the force to get the wheel moving and then the rolling friction force equation would be used to work out the force required to keep it going?
To get the wheel rolling requires static friction (assuming no slipping). But μN gives the maximum amount of friction available to you; the actual friction required depends on the acceleration you are trying to impart. (The actual static friction could be anything from 0 to the maximum value.)

ok thanks, so F=uN is max force.

what equation do I use if I have an acceleration in mind to find the force?

geko11 said:
ok thanks, so F=uN is max force.
Right.
what equation do I use if I have an acceleration in mind to find the force?
Newton's 2nd law for rotation and translation.

F=m*a...
now I feel like an idiot, but I am glad I asked.
thanks doc your a Legend.

geko11 said:
F=m*a...
That will do for translation; for rotation, use Torque = I*alpha.

rcgldr said:
The opposing force is due to rolling resistance, not static friction.
To accelerate the wheel from rest, static friction is required.

Related to Friction acting on a wheel that is initially at rest

1. What is friction and how does it affect a wheel at rest?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. When a wheel is at rest, the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, making it difficult for the wheel to start moving.

2. How does the weight of the wheel affect the amount of friction?

The weight of the wheel has a direct impact on the amount of friction acting on it. The heavier the wheel, the greater the force of friction, making it harder to move.

3. Can the type of surface the wheel is on affect the friction?

Yes, the type of surface the wheel is on can greatly affect the amount of friction. Rough surfaces create more friction than smooth surfaces, making it more difficult for the wheel to move.

4. Is friction always a hindrance for a wheel at rest?

No, friction can also be beneficial for a wheel at rest. For example, the friction between the tires and the road allows a car to stay in place without sliding when parked on an inclined surface.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced for a wheel at rest?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by using smoother surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of the wheel can also decrease the amount of friction acting on it.