Fresnel Equations and Snells Law

• Thread starter girlinphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fresnel Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the Fresnel Equation and its relation to Snell's Law. The speaker mentions that they struggled with understanding the connection between the two equations, but eventually found a way to reach the correct result by starting from the second equation and working backwards. They also mention that the relationship between tangent and cosine was helpful in understanding the proof.
girlinphysics
I have seen in many textbooks that the following Fresnel Equation [tex]\frac{n_t{cos(\theta_i)} - n_i{cos(\theta_t)}}{n_t{cos(\theta_i)} + n_i{cos(\theta_t)}}[/tex] and then they say that via Snells Law we get the following equation [tex]\frac{tan(\theta_i - \theta_t)}{tan(\theta_i + \theta_t)}[/tex]

I can see that some trig manipulation was done, and I know that [itex]{tan(\theta)} = \frac{cos(\theta)}{sin(\theta)}[/itex] but I cannot seen to get to that final result correct. If anyone is able to show me the maths behind it that would be great.

Science news on Phys.org
When I first encountered this, it bothered me too because I couldn't connect them. But at last I did it with a trick. I started from the second one to reach the first one, which is pretty easy. And then the proof you want is the reverse of that. Just expand the tangents and the rest is almost obvious.

Related to Fresnel Equations and Snells Law

What is the Fresnel equation?

The Fresnel equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of light when it passes through the interface between two different materials. It specifically calculates the amount of light that is reflected and refracted at the interface, based on the properties of the two materials and the angle at which the light hits the interface.

What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the Law of Refraction, is a formula that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction for light passing through different materials. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two materials.

What is the difference between the Fresnel equations for reflection and transmission?

The Fresnel equations for reflection and transmission are used to calculate the amount of light that is reflected or transmitted at an interface between two materials. The difference between the two equations lies in the angle of incidence - the reflection equation uses the angle at which the light hits the interface, while the transmission equation uses the angle at which the light leaves the interface.

How are Fresnel equations and Snell's Law related?

Fresnel equations and Snell's Law are related in that they both describe the behavior of light at material interfaces. Snell's Law provides a general formula for calculating the angle of refraction, while the Fresnel equations use this angle to determine the amount of light reflected and transmitted at the interface based on the properties of the two materials.

Why are Fresnel equations and Snell's Law important in optics?

Fresnel equations and Snell's Law are important in optics because they allow us to predict how light will behave when it passes through different materials, which is crucial in designing and understanding various optical systems. They also play a key role in technologies such as lenses, prisms, and fiber optics, and are essential in fields like astronomy, microscopy, and telecommunications.