Fresnel Diffraction: Explaining Zero Intensity at Center

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of understanding light behavior when it approaches an obstacle and the use of simplifying approximations in diffraction calculations. The difference between Fraunhofer and Fresnel diffraction is also mentioned. The individual asking for help is specifically looking for an explanation for why Fresnel diffraction can have zero intensity at its center, but no one in the conversation has a clear answer.
bartieshaw
Hey people...

This isn't really a homewrok question, I am asking it to try and improve my understanding, but if i still have posted it in the wrong place i sincerely apologise if i upset anyone.

I am going over some notes before my exam in 4 days and have encountered a problem...

the synopsis says i need to be able to "explain why the Fresnel diffraction pattern of a single slit can have zero intensity at its centre."

its not in my notes, and I've looked it up in Giancoli, but it doesn't distinguish between Fresnel diffraction and Fraunhofer diffraction so it was no help...

Just a brief description would be all i need...can anyone help?

cheers,
bart

Science news on Phys.org
Knowing what light will do when it approaches an obstacle is a very difficult problem. It's actually an E&M problem in disguise. An exact solution is almost always impossible, so we develop techniques to simplify the calculation in order to get the answer.

When we care about what happens far from the obstacle, we can make certain simplifying approximations, and call it "far field diffraction". This is called Fraunhofer diffraction. It's mathematically more simple than Fresnel diffraction.

When we care about what happens close to the obststacle, we can make other simplifying approximations, and call it "near field diffraction". This is called Fresnel diffraction. It's mathematically more complex than Fraunhofer diffraction.

I happen to be extremely weak in optics. My only real experience with optics is teaching geometric optics and reading the chapter on Kirchhoff's diffraction theorem in Max Born's book on optics (mainly because I have a keen interest in E&M).

I believe all the pretty pictures you see of diffraction, like the archtypical "single slit diffraction pattern" are all Fraunhofer images, but I could be mistaken about that.

As for why Fresnel diffraction can have a minima at the center... I have no idea. I assume your teacher meant light going through a slit and impinging on a flat screen. No clue. Diffraction theory is a really difficult subject.

Sure, I'd be happy to help explain why the Fresnel diffraction pattern of a single slit can have zero intensity at its center.

First, let's define Fresnel diffraction. This is a type of diffraction that occurs when a wavefront passes through an aperture (in this case, a single slit) and the diffracted wave is observed in the near field (close to the aperture). This is in contrast to Fraunhofer diffraction, which occurs when the diffracted wave is observed in the far field (far away from the aperture).

Now, let's consider the diffraction pattern of a single slit in the Fresnel regime. As the wavefront passes through the slit, it is diffracted and spreads out in all directions. The diffracted waves interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed in the near field. The central maximum of this pattern is typically the brightest point, but in the case of a single slit, it can have zero intensity.

This is due to the fact that the diffraction pattern is created by the interference of waves that are diffracted at different points along the slit. At the center of the pattern, the waves are diffracted at the same point on the slit, resulting in destructive interference. This means that the peaks of one wave cancel out the troughs of another, resulting in zero intensity at the center.

In contrast, in the Fraunhofer regime, the diffracted waves are observed in the far field and the interference pattern is created by waves that are diffracted at different angles. This results in a central maximum that is not zero, as the waves are not diffracted at the same point on the slit.

I hope this explanation helps clarify why the Fresnel diffraction pattern of a single slit can have zero intensity at its center. Good luck on your exam!

Related to Fresnel Diffraction: Explaining Zero Intensity at Center

What is Fresnel diffraction?

Fresnel diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through an aperture or around an obstacle. It results in the bending and spreading of the wave, causing interference patterns and areas of zero intensity.

How does Fresnel diffraction explain zero intensity at the center?

In Fresnel diffraction, the wave front is divided into two parts: the incident wave and the diffracted wave. At the center point, these two waves cancel each other out, resulting in a point of zero intensity. This is due to the interference between the waves, causing destructive interference at the center.

What is the significance of zero intensity in Fresnel diffraction?

The point of zero intensity at the center is significant because it shows the limitations of the geometric optics model. In geometric optics, light is treated as a ray that travels in a straight line, but in reality, it behaves as a wave and exhibits diffraction. This phenomenon is important in understanding how light behaves and is used in various applications, such as in telescopes and microscopes.

Can the zero intensity point be eliminated in Fresnel diffraction?

No, the zero intensity point cannot be completely eliminated in Fresnel diffraction. However, its effects can be minimized by using smaller apertures or by increasing the distance between the aperture and the screen.

How is Fresnel diffraction different from Fraunhofer diffraction?

Fresnel diffraction occurs when the diffracting object and the screen are at a finite distance from each other, while Fraunhofer diffraction occurs when the distance between them is large. In Fresnel diffraction, the wave front is curved, while in Fraunhofer diffraction, it is essentially flat. Additionally, the intensity patterns of the two types of diffraction differ, with Fresnel diffraction exhibiting more intricate patterns due to the contributions of both the incident and diffracted waves.