Frequency of Virbration in Covalent Bonds

In summary, if you know the energy and bond length of a covalent bond, you can find the harmonic-oscillator frequencies by using the second-order derivatives of energy with respect to bond length.
sritter27
I came across an interesting problem involving covalent bonds that I'm having trouble solving. If you're given a bond energy and a bond length, how would you find the frequency of vibration of the covalent bond? I tried to approach this through dimensional analysis and I'm not seeing how I would get a frequency out of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't.

If you know the energy as a function of bond length E(r), then you can determine the harmonic-oscillator eigenfrequencies from the second-order derivatives of E with respect to r, taken at the equilibrium point, where the first-order derivatives (forces) are zero. Getting anharmonic corrections requires even higher-order derivatives.

Or, to put it another way, the vibrational frequencies depend on (and are in fact a kind of description of) the potential-energy curve E(r) of the bond distance. You need to know the whole curve to know the frequencies. If you only know the energy and bond length, all you have is a single point on the curve. The simplest way to get the information about it is to determine the derivatives as above, in what's essentially a Taylor expansion around the equilibrium point.

You can't get E(r) with anything less than a full quantum-mechanical calculation.

Last edited:
The best you could do is fit an idealized potential.

For example, if you think about the Lennard-Jones potential. There are two parameter that are fit from experiment. If you have the position and energy of the minima then you have enough to make the potential fit.

If you knew that it was s-valent you could fit the overlap integral for a LCAO model. In is textbook David Pettifor suggests that you can use a power series to describe the integral's dependence on r. Walter Harrison also had some useful function forms in his book, I think. Of course you don't have enough information to fit anything with p or d orbitals.

Of course both of these approximations are severe and wouldn't stand in a research setting.

Last edited:

Related to Frequency of Virbration in Covalent Bonds

What is the definition of frequency of vibration in covalent bonds?

The frequency of vibration in covalent bonds refers to the number of times per second that atoms in a molecule vibrate back and forth, while remaining bonded together, due to the sharing of electrons.

How does frequency of vibration affect the strength of a covalent bond?

The higher the frequency of vibration, the stronger the covalent bond is. This is because a higher frequency means that the atoms are vibrating more rapidly, leading to a tighter bond between them.

What factors influence the frequency of vibration in covalent bonds?

The mass of the atoms involved, the strength of the bond, and the temperature all influence the frequency of vibration in covalent bonds. A heavier atom will vibrate at a lower frequency compared to a lighter atom, and a stronger bond will vibrate at a higher frequency compared to a weaker bond. As temperature increases, the frequency of vibration also increases.

How is frequency of vibration related to the energy of a covalent bond?

The frequency of vibration is directly proportional to the energy of a covalent bond. This means that as the frequency of vibration increases, the energy of the bond also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E = hν, where E is the energy of the bond, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency of vibration.

What are the practical applications of understanding frequency of vibration in covalent bonds?

Understanding frequency of vibration in covalent bonds is important in fields such as chemistry, material science, and engineering. It can help in predicting the strength and stability of molecules and materials, as well as in designing and synthesizing new compounds with specific properties.