Frequency of string and tuning fork

In summary, the conversation discusses a question that is poorly worded and missing necessary information. The question involves a tuning fork of unknown frequency and a beat frequency of 3 Hz. The reader suggests that the 3 Hz is a beat frequency and not the tuning fork frequency, and that the tuning fork frequency is necessary to solve the problem. They also mention that a human cannot hear a 3 Hz tuning fork as the lowest frequency audible to humans is 20 Hz.
somecelxis

Homework Statement

can someone teach me on this question? i really don't know how to start with it. the ans is 0.38m and 4.1N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the working is in the second photo

Attachments

• IMG_20140804_071516[1].jpg
    IMG_20140804_071516[1].jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_20140805_015031[1].jpg
    IMG_20140805_015031[1].jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be some text missing from the question. The second sentence is incomplete. It reads "When ... and ... ". The reader expects some statement of what happens under those conditions, such as "a beat frequency of <some number> Hz is heard", but the sentence abruptly ends.

I didn't see any discontinuity. Maybe the OP corrected the image?

EDIT: NM I see your point. The wording is horrible. The problem is not fully stated no matter how you rearrange the given data. The tuning fork frequency is obviously needed. The 3 Hz is a beat, not the tuning fork frequency. Etc.

Last edited:
There seems to be line missing from the question between

... a tuning fork of
?
frequency of 3 Hz ..

rude man said:
I didn't see any discontinuity. Maybe the OP corrected the image?

EDIT: NM I see your point. The wording is horrible. The problem is not fully stated no matter how you rearrange the given data. The tuning fork frequency is obviously needed. The 3 Hz is a beat, not the tuning fork frequency. Etc.

why The 3 Hz is a beat, not the tuning fork frequency?

somecelxis said:
why The 3 Hz is a beat, not the tuning fork frequency?

Well, for one thing you couldn't hear a 3 Hz tuning fork.
For another, the problem is horribly badly described so I made a guess that the 3 Hz is intended to be a beat frequency and the tuning fork frequency was omitted.

rude man said:
Well, for one thing you couldn't hear a 3 Hz tuning fork.
For another, the problem is horribly badly described so I made a guess that the 3 Hz is intended to be a beat frequency and the tuning fork frequency was omitted.

why I couldn't hear 3hz tuning fork?

somecelxis said:
why I couldn't hear 3hz tuning fork?

The lowest frequency that humans can hear is about 20Hz.

You can see something vibrating at 3Hz if the amplitude is big enough. But a "tuning fork" that vibrated at 3 Hz would be about 1m long, which is nonsense.

A healthy young human ear can hear sounds from 20 Hz to about 15,000 Hz. Most people's range is less than that.

Related to Frequency of string and tuning fork

1. What is the frequency of a string or tuning fork?

The frequency of a string or tuning fork refers to the number of vibrations or cycles that occur per second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is directly related to the pitch of the sound produced. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch.

2. How is the frequency of a string or tuning fork determined?

The frequency of a string or tuning fork is determined by several factors, including the length, tension, and mass of the string or tuning fork. The longer the string or the higher the tension, the higher the frequency will be. The mass of the string or tuning fork also affects the frequency, with heavier objects producing lower frequencies.

3. How does the frequency of a string or tuning fork affect the sound produced?

The frequency of a string or tuning fork directly affects the pitch of the sound produced. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch and vice versa. Additionally, the harmonics or overtones produced by the string or tuning fork are also affected by the frequency, creating a more complex and rich sound.

4. Can the frequency of a string or tuning fork be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a string or tuning fork can be changed by altering its length, tension, or mass. This can be done by adjusting the length of the string, tightening or loosening the tension, or adding or removing weight from the tuning fork.

5. Why is the frequency of a string or tuning fork important in music?

The frequency of a string or tuning fork is important in music because it determines the pitch of the sound produced. By changing the frequency, different notes and melodies can be created, allowing for a wide range of musical expression. Additionally, the precise tuning of instruments, such as guitars and pianos, relies on the accurate measurement and adjustment of their frequencies.