Frequency & Length of Resonating Pipes

In summary: The calculated speed of sound was close to the accepted value, but the data does not show a clear relationship between frequency and length.
mgiddy911
I have completed a lab on sound waves in which we measured the speed of sound in air(a vaccum) by measuring the lengths of pipes that would resonate tunning forks fundamental frequencies. One question I am asked to answer is to describe the relationship between the frequency of a sound and the length of a pipe that resonates it and explain why the relationship is what is it. By looking at my datd I can't see a relation between the two...
(384Hz, 19.8cm) (426.7Hz, 19.9cm) (480Hz, 18.7cm) those were closed pipes and then (256Hz, 71.8cm) and (288Hz, 58.4cm) those were open pipes. From that data I don't see a relation between the frequency and the length that resonates it, am I missing somehting or did I just come up with bad data, mind you when I calculated the speed of sound I came up with an average of 341 m/s so It was farily close to the accepted value.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mgiddy911 said:
(384Hz, 19.8cm) (426.7Hz, 19.9cm) (480Hz, 18.7cm) those were closed pipes and then (256Hz, 71.8cm) and (288Hz, 58.4cm) those were open pipes. From that data I don't see a relation between the frequency and the length that resonates it, am I missing somehting or did I just come up with bad data, mind you when I calculated the speed of sound I came up with an average of 341 m/s so It was farily close to the accepted value.
It looks to me like your open pipes correspond to 1/2 wavelengths. Your closed pipes are approximately 1/4 wavelengths. The data seems to be a little off though.

AM

The relationship between the frequency of a sound and the length of a pipe that resonates it is a direct relationship. This means that as the frequency of the sound increases, the length of the pipe that resonates it also increases. This is known as the inverse proportionality law.

In your data, it may seem like there is no relationship between the two because the changes in frequency and length are not consistent. However, if you plot the data on a graph, you will see that there is a general trend where as the frequency increases, the length also increases.

The reason for this relationship is due to the fact that the length of the pipe determines the wavelength of the sound wave that can resonate within it. The fundamental frequency of a sound wave is directly proportional to its wavelength. Therefore, as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases. In order for a pipe to resonate a specific frequency, its length must be proportionate to the wavelength of that frequency.

In your lab, it is possible that there were some errors in measurement or experimental conditions that may have affected the data. However, your calculated speed of sound being close to the accepted value suggests that your data is fairly accurate.

In conclusion, there is a direct relationship between the frequency of a sound and the length of a pipe that resonates it. This is due to the inverse proportionality between frequency and wavelength. Your data may not show a clear relationship, but it is likely that there is a general trend that can be observed when plotted on a graph.

Related to Frequency & Length of Resonating Pipes

1. What is the relationship between the length of a resonating pipe and its frequency?

The frequency of a resonating pipe is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the pipe increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does the diameter of a resonating pipe affect its frequency?

The diameter of a resonating pipe has a direct impact on its frequency. A larger diameter pipe will have a lower frequency, while a smaller diameter pipe will have a higher frequency.

3. What determines the resonant frequency of a pipe?

The resonant frequency of a pipe is determined by its physical properties, such as length, diameter, and material. It is also affected by the environment, such as temperature and air pressure.

4. Can the resonant frequency of a pipe be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a pipe can be changed by altering its physical properties or the environment. For example, the length of the pipe can be adjusted or the temperature can be changed to alter the frequency.

5. How is the resonant frequency of a pipe used in practical applications?

The resonant frequency of a pipe is used in various practical applications, such as musical instruments, where the length of the pipe determines the pitch of the sound produced. It is also used in industrial settings, such as in gas and liquid pipelines, to detect and measure flow rates and blockages.