Frequency Division Multiplexing - Mastergroup 3 - Topic on telecomms

In summary, the frequency output for mastergroup 3 is 8848kHz, obtained by adding the frequency output of the mastergroup spectrum and mastergroup voiceband. The frequency is translated to the lower side band in order to obtain the frequency output for a specific signal in frequency division multiplexing.
Equilibrium
Frequency Division Multiplexing - "Mastergroup 3" - Topic on telecomms

Homework Statement

What is the frequency output of the mastergroup combining network for a signal of 552kHz to be translated using mastergroup 3?

Homework Equations

Mastergroup Spectrum:
For AT&T = 564 - 3084 kHz
For ITU-T = 812 - 2044 kHz
Mastergroup Bandwidth
For AT&T = 2.52 MHz
For ITU-T = 1.232 MHz
Mastergroup VoiceBand
For AT&T = 600 voicebands
For ITU-T = 500 voicebands

[itex]f_{out}=f_{c}-f_{i}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem has already been solved by our instructor but i am having a problem understanding, Here is the solution posted:
For mastergroup 3,
[itex]f_{c}=8848kHz[/itex]

[itex]f_{out}=f_{c}-f_{i}[/itex] (LSB - Lower SideBand)
[itex]f_{out}=8848kHz-552kHz[/itex]
[itex]f_{out}=8296kHz[/itex]

1. What I'm having trouble is how did he get 8848kHz,? I've already listed what mastergroup consist of but i don't know if it relates to getting that value.
2. Why did he let the frequency be translated to the lower side band?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in advance for your help!
Thank you for your question about the frequency output of the mastergroup combining network. To answer your first question, the value of 8848kHz was most likely obtained by adding the frequency output of the mastergroup spectrum (812kHz) to the frequency output of the mastergroup voiceband (8036kHz). This gives a total frequency output of 8848kHz for mastergroup 3.

As for your second question, the frequency is translated to the lower side band because in frequency division multiplexing, the carrier frequency is split into multiple frequency bands, with the lower side band carrying the information signal. Therefore, in order to obtain the frequency output for a specific signal, we need to subtract the input frequency from the carrier frequency.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies of telecommunications!

Related to Frequency Division Multiplexing - Mastergroup 3 - Topic on telecomms

What is Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM)?

Frequency Division Multiplexing is a technique used in telecommunications that allows multiple signals to be transmitted simultaneously over a single communication channel by dividing the available bandwidth into multiple subchannels.

How does FDM work?

FDM works by assigning a specific frequency range to each signal to be transmitted. These signals are then combined and transmitted over the same communication channel. At the receiving end, the signals are separated using a demultiplexer based on their respective frequencies.

What are the advantages of using FDM?

One of the main advantages of FDM is that it allows multiple signals to be transmitted over a single channel, thereby increasing the efficiency of the communication system. It also has a high resistance to noise and interference, making it a reliable method for transmitting data.

What are the applications of FDM?

FDM is commonly used in various communication systems such as radio and television broadcasting, telephone networks, and satellite communications. It is also used in data communication systems, such as DSL and cable internet, to increase bandwidth and improve transmission speeds.

What are the limitations of FDM?

One of the limitations of FDM is that it requires precise synchronization between the transmitter and receiver. Any deviation in frequency or timing can result in signal interference and degradation. Additionally, FDM is not suitable for high-speed data transmission as it requires a large bandwidth for each signal.