Frequency At Amplitude of Voltage Across Capacitor Decreases

In summary, the voltage across an RC circuit decreases as the frequency increases, but the magnitude of the decrease is not proportional to the frequency.
mmmboh
Hi, I know the relationship between Vc and the frequency is Vc=I0/(wc)...and if the output amplitude isn't adjusted doesn't this mean that any increase in frequency results in a decrease in voltage? I am asking this because I did a lab and I had to "raise the square wave frequency, but don't adjust the output amplitude of the generator. At some frequency the output wave will begin to look like a sawtooth, and the output amplitude will begin to fall." I had to record the frequency at which this decrease occurs, and I did, but I don't understand why the decrease doesn't start happening at zero. This is an RC circuit by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mmmboh,

The reason is that there is a constant in the denominator, of the equation govorning the frequency response. This constant does not vary with [tex] \omega [/tex].

Suppose you have an RC circuit, with the R and C in series. Call the voltage source Vs. Then the voltage across the capacitor, Vc is (in the s domain), is obtained by a voltage divider,

[tex] V _C = \frac{\frac{1}{sC}}{R + \frac{1}{sC}}V _S [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\frac{1}{sC}}{\frac{sRC}{sC} + \frac{1}{sC}}V _S [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\frac{1}{sC}}{\frac{sRC + 1}{sC}} V _S [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{sRC + 1} V _S [/tex]

Thus the transfer function,

[tex] \frac {V _C}{V _S} = \frac{1}{sRC + 1} [/tex]

To find the frequency response, we substitue [tex] j \omega [/tex] into s.

[tex] \frac {V _C}{V _S} = \frac{1}{j \omega RC + 1} [/tex]

So as you can see, if [tex] \omega [/tex] is even somewhat less than 1/RC, the frequency response is still somewhat close to 1. It's only after the angular frequency rises above the neighborhood of 1/RC that the amplitude begins to significantly diminish.

Sorry this is a late response, but if w is 1/2(RC) then Vc/Vs=1/1.5=0.6...is that really that close to one?

mmmboh said:
Sorry this is a late response, but if w is 1/2(RC) then Vc/Vs=1/1.5=0.6...is that really that close to one?

Well, if you want the magnitude, you can't add real and imaginary numbers like that. You need to use the Pythagorean theorem to get the magnitude.

[tex]
\left| \frac {V _C}{V _S} \right| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(\omega RC)^2 + 1}}
[/tex]

So if [tex]\omega[/tex] = (1/2)/RC, then |Vc/Vs| = 0.894, which is still relatively close to 1. My point is that you won't see a big drop in the frequency response until [tex]\omega[/tex] rises into the neighborhood of 1/RC (which is the same thing as saying the normal frequency, f [in Hz], rises into the neighborhood of [tex] 1/(2\pi RC) [/tex]). Only at frequencies higher than that does the magnitude start to fall ~proportionally with frequency. Much below that, the magnitude is nearly constant. When [tex]\omega = 1/RC [/tex] the magnitude = [tex] 1/ \sqrt{2} [/tex].

Last edited:

Related to Frequency At Amplitude of Voltage Across Capacitor Decreases

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, the dielectric material becomes polarized and stores electrical charge. This stored charge can then be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

2. Why does the frequency of a voltage affect the amplitude across a capacitor?

The frequency of a voltage refers to the number of cycles per second that the voltage alternates between positive and negative values. As the frequency increases, the time for each cycle decreases, resulting in less time for the capacitor to fully charge or discharge. This leads to a decrease in the amplitude of the voltage across the capacitor.

3. How does the capacitance of a capacitor affect the frequency at which the amplitude decreases?

The capacitance of a capacitor is a measure of its ability to store charge. A higher capacitance means that the capacitor can store more charge, resulting in a longer time for the capacitor to fully charge or discharge. Therefore, a higher capacitance leads to a decrease in the frequency at which the amplitude decreases across the capacitor.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and voltage across a capacitor?

The relationship between frequency and voltage across a capacitor is inverse. As the frequency increases, the voltage across the capacitor decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher frequency allows less time for the capacitor to fully charge or discharge, resulting in a lower voltage across the capacitor.

5. How does the type of dielectric material used in a capacitor affect the frequency at which the amplitude decreases?

The type of dielectric material used in a capacitor can greatly affect the frequency at which the amplitude decreases. Different materials have different levels of permittivity, which is a measure of how well the material can polarize in response to an electric field. A higher permittivity allows the capacitor to store more charge, resulting in a lower frequency at which the amplitude decreases across the capacitor.