Freefall with constant velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a falling object and a moving helicopter. It is concluded that as long as there is constant velocity, the moment when the object hits the truck is when the horizontal distance between the helicopter and the truck is zero. The conversation also includes friendly exchanges between the participants.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
(not a homework question, just something I thought about)

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1130/hellhell.jpg

So, if I'm told that the helicopter here let's go of an object and he wants the object to hit the truck. (all objects are "point mass"). Can I say right from the get go that, as long as there is constant velocity, the moment where the object hits the truck is exactly where the horizontal distance between the helicopter and the truck is zero. Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Femme_physics! :wink:

Yes, the falling object (if we ignore air resistance) is immediately below the helicopter at all times. :smile:

Yay!

Tiny-tim! :D So glad to see you replying to me again! *hugs!* and thanks!

And glad that I'm right :)

Related to Freefall with constant velocity

1. What is freefall with constant velocity?

Freefall with constant velocity is a type of motion in which an object falls due to the force of gravity, but also has a constant speed. This means that the object is not accelerating and is moving at a steady rate.

2. How is freefall with constant velocity different from regular freefall?

In regular freefall, an object is falling due to gravity and accelerating towards the ground. However, in freefall with constant velocity, the object does not accelerate and maintains a constant speed. This usually occurs when the object experiences an equal amount of upward and downward forces, such as air resistance balancing out the force of gravity.

3. Is there a maximum velocity in freefall with constant velocity?

No, there is no maximum velocity in freefall with constant velocity. As long as the object continues to experience balanced forces, it will maintain a constant speed. However, in reality, air resistance and other factors may eventually cause the object to slow down and stop accelerating.

4. How does the mass of an object affect freefall with constant velocity?

The mass of an object does not affect freefall with constant velocity. This is because the acceleration of an object due to gravity is independent of its mass. However, a heavier object may experience more air resistance, which could impact its velocity in freefall.

5. Can freefall with constant velocity occur in any environment?

Freefall with constant velocity can occur in any environment as long as there is a force of gravity acting on the object and balanced forces to maintain a constant speed. This can happen in Earth's atmosphere, in outer space, or even in a vacuum.