How High Does the Flowerpot Rise Above the Window?

In summary, the problem involves a cat spotting a flowerpot passing by an open window for a total of 0.50 seconds. The top-to-bottom height of the window is given as 2.00m. The question is asking for the height above the window that the flowerpot goes. The solution involves finding the initial velocity of the flowerpot using the kinematic equation v^2=v_{0}^2+2a\Delta{x}. The final velocity at the top of the flight path is set to 0, and gravity is used as the acceleration. The calculated initial velocity is then used to solve for the displacement, resulting in a height of 3.3m. However, the expected answer is 2.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

A cat spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The pot is in view for a total of .50s and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.00m. How high above the window does the flower pot go?

I was trying to help one of my friends with this problem, and apparently I'm not setting it up right. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the velocity would be 8.0 m/s, because it's in view for a total of .50 seconds, between the two passes that it is making by the window.

So, one pass is 2.00m/.25 s=8 m/s

Then I used a kinematic to solve for displacement.

[tex]v^2=v_{0}^2+2a\Delta{x}[/tex]

Now I let the final velocity be 0 at the top of the flight path, and I substitute g in for a, with downward being the negative direction. Then solve for delta x, and substitute numerically.

[tex]\Delta{x}=\frac{-v^2_{0}}{-2g}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta{x}=\frac{-64}{-2(9.80)}[/tex]

Which gives me [itex]\Delta{x}=3.3 m[/itex] abpve the window.

Her book apparently says the answer is 2.34 m. Where did I go wrong?

I feel like the velocity calculation is kinda questionable here. I can't think of how else to go about it though. I tried a couple different approaches, and came up with answers that were much farther off.

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumCurt said:
So, one pass is 2.00m/.25 s=8 m/s

If the flowerpot is in free fall, then this is wrong.

You are assuming that the velocity of the pot is constant as it passes by the window. Since the pot is affected by gravity going up as well as coming down, this assumption is invalid.

How would I go about calculating it? It's going upward initially, and I factored in the fact that gravity is slowing it down. I've been wracking my brain over this one for a while now, and I honestly cannot figure it out.

Can I use

[tex] v=v_{0}+at[/tex]

to find the time, then use

[tex]\Delta{x}=v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] to find the height?

That's the only thing I can think of here. I think that was one of the things I tried though, and it wasn't working.

QuantumCurt said:
Can I use

[tex] v=v_{0}+at[/tex]

to find the time

You do not have to find the time, it is already given to you. Note, however, than in this equation both ##v## and ##v_0## are unknown, so you cannot find anything from this equation alone.

[tex]\Delta{x}=v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] to find the height?

The height is known. So are the time and the acceleration. The only unknown here is ##v_0##, which means you can find it. Once you get it, can you solve the rest of the problem?

voko said:
You do not have to find the time, it is already given to you. Note, however, than in this equation both ##v## and ##v_0## are unknown, so you cannot find anything from this equation alone.

The height is known. So are the time and the acceleration. The only unknown here is ##v_0##, which means you can find it. Once you get it, can you solve the rest of the problem?

I got it. This was a really simple problem, I don't know why it wasn't clicking. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20131007_032322.jpg
    IMG_20131007_032322.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 393

Related to How High Does the Flowerpot Rise Above the Window?

What is freefall in terms of kinematics?

Freefall in terms of kinematics refers to the motion of an object that is only influenced by the force of gravity. This means that the object is falling with no other forces acting upon it, such as air resistance or friction.

How is freefall represented in kinematics equations?

In kinematics equations, freefall is represented by the acceleration due to gravity, which is denoted by the letter "g". This value is typically a constant of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth.

What is the equation for calculating freefall distance?

The equation for calculating freefall distance is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed in seconds.

Can freefall be negative?

Yes, freefall can be negative if the direction of motion is against the direction of gravity. This can occur if an object is thrown upwards or if the direction of gravity is altered, such as on a rotating object.

What is terminal velocity in freefall?

Terminal velocity in freefall is the maximum velocity that an object can reach while falling due to the balance between gravity and air resistance. Once terminal velocity is reached, the object will no longer accelerate and will continue falling at a constant speed.