Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a free IDE that can generate C++ code from UML diagrams. While there are several UML tools available for Java that can also generate code, it is recommended to search on Google for a specific tool for C++. It is mentioned that Visual Studio has a UML toolkit, but it may only support C++ .net and not vanilla C++. The free version of Visual C++ .net may also have this feature, but further research is needed.
chingkui
Hi,

Does anyone know of any free IDE that can generate C++ code from "drawing" in UML?

Technology news on Phys.org
I heard of something that does that with Java, relating to Eclipse (maybe a plugin) but I do not remember the details.

For Java there are quite a few UML tools (Omondo, ArgoUML, everything but the kitchen sink Visual Paradigm and many others), they can as well generate code from the diagrams. As C++ goes try to ask Oncle Google if he knows any UML tools that generate C++ code.

If you are using Visual Studio (I know its not free but it is popular and you might know someone with a copy) it comes with a UML toolkit since 2003 iirc, although it might be new to 2005. I never use the thing and am at work where I can't check exactly where it is on Start Menu etc... but it does exist. I have never used these tools so they might not support vanilla C++ and only C++ .net considering how Microsoft generally are like that. It might come with the free version on Visual C++ .net too, but I can't be sure without downloading it as there appears to be little information on the ms webpage about it...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/

Hope this is somehow useful...

Related to Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation

1. What is a Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation?

A Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation is a software development tool that allows programmers to create, edit, and debug C++ code through a graphical user interface. It is based on the Unified Modeling Language (UML) which helps developers visualize and design their code before writing it.

2. Is the Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation truly free?

Yes, the Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation is completely free to use. There are no hidden fees or subscriptions required to access its features. It is an open-source tool, meaning the source code is freely available for anyone to view and modify.

3. Can I generate code from UML diagrams using this IDE?

Yes, one of the main features of the Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation is its ability to generate code from UML diagrams. This saves time and reduces the chance of errors by automatically converting the visual representation of code into actual C++ code.

4. Is this IDE suitable for beginners?

While the Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation may seem intimidating to beginners, it can be a useful tool for learning. Its visual approach to coding can help beginners better understand the structure and logic of C++ code. However, some prior knowledge of programming and UML diagrams may be helpful.

5. Can I use this IDE for commercial projects?

Yes, the Free UML-Based C++ IDE for Code Generation can be used for commercial projects. As it is an open-source tool, it can be freely used, modified, and distributed for any purpose, including commercial use. However, it is always recommended to check the specific license of the IDE before using it for commercial purposes.