Free relativistic particle (wave function)

In summary, to determine the wave function at time t>0 for a free relativistic particle moving along the x-axis, the time-dependent Schrödinger equation must be solved in momentum space. This involves finding \phi(k,t) from \phi_0(k) by solving the time-dependent Schroedinger equation. The final answer will involve a double integral and can be written as \psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}\int dpe^{-i\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}t/\hbar}e^{ip x/\hbar} (\int \psi_0(x) e^{i p x/\hbar} dx).
bjogae

Homework Statement

The hamiltonian of a free relativistic particle moving along the x-axis is taken to be [tex]H=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}[/tex] where [tex]p[/tex] is the momentum operator. If the state of the wave function at time [tex]t=0[/tex] is described by the wave function [tex]\psi_0(x)[/tex] what is the wave function at time [tex]t>0[/tex] Hint: solve the time-dependent Schrödinger equation in momentum space. The answer can be left in the form of an integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In momentum space [tex] \psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_k \phi(k) e^{i k x} [/tex]
does this mean that [tex] \psi_0(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_k \phi_0(k) e^{i k x}[/tex]
and how do i know what [tex] \phi_0(k)[/tex] is?

Is the right answer something in form of [tex] \psi_0(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_k \phi_0(k) e^{i k x}e^{i E t/\hbar}[/tex] where i just kind of write down the usual derivation of the time-dependent schrödinger equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get [itex]\phi_0(k)[/itex] from [itex]\psi_0(x)[/itex] by taking its Fourier transform.

Your final answer will involve a double integral, and come from

[tex]\psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\oint\phi(k,t)e^{ikx}dx[/tex]

You will need to determine [itex]\phi(k,t)[/itex] from [itex]\phi_0(k)[/itex] by solving the time-dependent Schroedinger equation.

gabbagabbahey said:
You can get [itex]\phi_0(k)[/itex] from [itex]\psi_0(x)[/itex] by taking its Fourier transform.

So i get [tex]\phi_0(p)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_k \psi_0(x) e^{i p x}[/tex] ?

gabbagabbahey said:
Your final answer will involve a double integral, and come from

[tex]\psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\oint\phi(k,t)e^{ikx}dx[/tex]

You will need to determine [itex]\phi(k,t)[/itex] from [itex]\phi_0(k)[/itex] by solving the time-dependent Schroedinger equation.

Then i solve the time dependent as following:
[tex]H\phi_0 = E \phi_0 \,[/tex] where [tex]H=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4} [/tex]Is it so, that:
[tex] \phi(p,\,t)= A(t) \phi_0(p) \ [/tex]
which leads to
[tex] \Phi(p,\,t) = \phi_0(p) e^{-i{E t/\hbar}} \,[/tex]
and then
[tex]\psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int dpe^{-i{E t/\hbar}}e^{ip x} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} (\int \psi_0(x) e^{i p x} dx)[/tex]

Is this correct? It seems to be ok to me.

bjogae said:
Then i solve the time dependent as following:
[tex]H\phi_0 = E \phi_0 \,[/tex] where [tex]H=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4} [/tex]

No, that's the time-independent Schroedinger equation...

gabbagabbahey said:
No, that's the time-independent Schroedinger equation...

Of course. So the time dependent looks like
[tex]i \hbar{\partial \over \partial t} \phi(p,\,t) = \hat H \phi(p,\,t)[/tex]
and for
[tex] \hat H=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4} [/tex]
it gives
[tex]\phi(p,\,t) = \phi(p,\,0)e^{-i\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}t/\hbar}[/tex]
which would lead to (by the previous reasoning)
[tex]\psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int dpe^{-i\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}t/\hbar}e^{ip x} (\int \psi_0(x) e^{i p x} dx)[/tex]
is this the answer?

bjogae said:
Of course. So the time dependent looks like
[tex]i \hbar{\partial \over \partial t} \phi(p,\,t) = \hat H \phi(p,\,t)[/tex]
and for
[tex] \hat H=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4} [/tex]
it gives
[tex]\phi(p,\,t) = \phi(p,\,0)e^{-i\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}t/\hbar}[/tex]

Good:approve:

which would lead to (by the previous reasoning)
[tex]\psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int dpe^{-i\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}t/\hbar}e^{ip x} (\int \psi_0(x) e^{i p x} dx)[/tex]
is this the answer?

Be careful, [itex]k=\frac{p}{\hbar}[/itex]...so when you rewrite your Fourier transforms in terms of [itex]p[/itex] instead of [itex]k[/itex], you should get some [itex]\hbar[/itex]s in there somewhere.

gabbagabbahey said:
Good:approve:

Be careful, [itex]k=\frac{p}{\hbar}[/itex]...so when you rewrite your Fourier transforms in terms of [itex]p[/itex] instead of [itex]k[/itex], you should get some [itex]\hbar[/itex]s in there somewhere.

one more try

[tex]\psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}\int dpe^{-i\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}t/\\hbar}e^{ip x/\hbar} (\int \psi_0(x) e^{i p x/\hbar} dx)[/tex]
which shold be correct if
[tex] k=\frac{p}{\hbar}[/tex]

Looks good to me!:approve:

Related to Free relativistic particle (wave function)

1. What is a free relativistic particle?

A free relativistic particle is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a particle that is not acted upon by any external forces or fields. It is also assumed to have a velocity close to the speed of light.

2. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position in space at a given time.

3. How is the wave function of a free relativistic particle different from a non-relativistic particle?

The wave function of a free relativistic particle takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in the wave function of a non-relativistic particle.

4. What are the key equations for describing a free relativistic particle?

The key equations for describing a free relativistic particle include the Klein-Gordon equation, the Dirac equation, and the Proca equation. These equations describe the behavior of different types of particles, such as scalar, fermionic, and vector particles, respectively.

5. What are some applications of the free relativistic particle concept?

The concept of a free relativistic particle has applications in many areas of physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology. It is also used in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.