Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files

In summary, you need to provide a library file with the same name as the program you are compiling, and a resource file with the same name as the program. The resource file should have a dialog box that appears when the program is run, but the library file may cause the program to freeze when it is linked.
Ambrus
Hi!

I would like to compile some *.for files (only standard Fortran77 statements) which only contains some subroutines and functions and link them with a *.res resource file and a *.lib library file (supplied by developers) into a windows executable.

Is there any FREE program to achieve this?

Some detail:
-My operating system is Windows7
-Previously I used the the trial version of an Intel program and it worked.
-The *.exe I'm trying to recreate meant to be a modified version of an existing windows program, so that's why I need the *.res and the *.lib files.

Thans for the answer!

Technology news on Phys.org
Did you look up the gfortran compiler?

No, not yet.
Do you have experience with compiling windows executables in gfortran?

Well, I somtimes used gfortran under cygwin. There are also binary builds of the compiler around for windows, so it should be easy to try them out.

I installed gfortran and tried it on some small programs.
Now I would like to link my library file, and resouce file with my object files.
So about the library:
It only accepts files with a name like: libfilename.a (like in unix) and I have a filename.lib (windows). Is changeing the filename enough, or should i convert it somehow?
About the .res file:
On other forums they told me I should convert my filename.res into a filename.rc file, then with windres.exe convert that into an object file.
Do you think that could work?

So I'm using gfortran:
-compile with gfortran.exe with the -c option to prooduce .o files
-convert the .res resource file into an object file (.o) with res2coff.exe
-use ld.exe to link the object files mentioned above and MY library file, and some other library files too provided by gfortran

Now I can produce a windows application, but it needs some .dll in the same directory. So I put them together but it freezes when I try to run it, and the dialog from the resource file doesn't appear at all.

Should I use other library files?
Is MY renamed library file the one which causes the problem?

Related to Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files

What is a Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files?

A Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files is a software tool that allows for the conversion of Fortran77 code into a format that can be executed on a Windows operating system. This program is typically used by scientists and researchers who work with Fortran77 code and need to run it on a Windows platform.

Is the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files easy to use?

Yes, the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It typically has a simple interface and clear instructions for compiling the code. However, some level of familiarity with Fortran77 and programming in general may be required.

Can the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files handle large and complex code?

Yes, the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files is designed to handle large and complex code. However, the speed and efficiency of the compilation process may depend on the computer's processing power and memory.

Are there any limitations to using the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files?

The limitations of the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files may vary depending on the specific program used. Some programs may have restrictions on the size or complexity of the code it can compile, while others may have limitations on the type of code it can handle (e.g. only certain Fortran77 dialects). It is important to carefully read the program's documentation before use.

Are there any alternatives to using the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files?

Yes, there are other programs and methods available for compiling Fortran77 code for Windows, such as using a Fortran compiler or using a virtual machine. However, the Free Program for Compiling Windows Executables from Fortran77 Files is a popular and convenient option for those who do not have access to a Fortran compiler or prefer a simple, user-friendly interface.