Free Particle Mass m: Probability and Wavefunction Solutions

In summary, a free particle in one dimension is in the initial state with a sin(k0*x) wavefunction. A value of p will be measured at time t with probabilities that depend on the wavefunction. If p is measured at t=3 s, the particle has a 50% chance of having momenta \pm \hbar k_0.
Domnu
Problem
A free particle of mass [tex]m[/tex] moving in one dimension is known to be in the initial state

[tex]\psi(x, 0) = \sin(k_0 x)[/tex]

a) What is [tex]\psi(x, t)[/tex]?
b) What value of [tex]p[/tex] will measurement yield at the time [tex]t[/tex], and with what probabilities will these values occur?
c) Suppose that [tex]p[/tex] is measured at [tex]t=3 s[/tex] and the value [tex]\hbar k_0[/tex] is found. What is [tex]\psi(x, t)[/tex] at [tex]t > 3 s[/tex]?

Attempt at Solutions
Well one question I have is this: how is this a valid state function for a free particle if it is non-square integrable? Generally, for any free particle, doesn't the wavefunction have to be square-integrable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly the opposite. In general, free particles having wavefunctions like exp(ikx) are NOT square integrable. Since they aren't localized.

Okay, so part a) would then just be

[tex]\psi(x,t) = e^{-i \omega_0 t} \sin k_0 x[/tex]​

since [tex]\psi(x,0)[/tex] is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator. Now, when I try to evaluate part b), I get

[tex]b(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \sin k_0 x e^{-ikx} dx[/tex]

where [tex]\int_{a}^b |b(k)|^2 dk[/tex] represents the probability of a particle having a wavenumber between [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex]. How do I actually evaluate the above integral? Also, the question asks for the probability of certain momenta... how is this allowed if momenta aren't discrete but are, instead, continuous?

You are making this much harder than it actually is. sin(k0*x) is a linear combination of exactly two momentum eigenfunctions exp(ikx). Which two? Don't think 'integral', think 'deMoivre'.

Aah, I see it now... sin(k0*x) = 1/2 exp(i*k0*x) - 1/2 exp(-i*k0*x). But we need to normalize this... so we finally have

[tex]\psi(x, t) = e^{-i \omega_0 t} \cdot \left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \phi_{k_0} - \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \phi_{-k_0}\right)[/tex]​

Thus, the particle has a 50% chance of having momenta [tex]\pm \hbar k_0[/tex]. This solves part b). As for part c), the wavefunction collapses onto

[tex]\psi(x, 0) = e^{-i \omega_0 t} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{i k_0 x}[/tex]​

Actually, it's sin(kx)=(exp(ikx)-exp(-ikx))/(2i). And you don't need to do any particular normalization. The only thing that's important is that the magnitude of the two coefficients are equal.

Heh, yes that's what I meant :P Thanks a bunch :smile:

Related to Free Particle Mass m: Probability and Wavefunction Solutions

1. What is a free particle in physics?

A free particle in physics refers to a particle that is not subjected to any external forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic fields. It is a theoretical concept used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of particles in a vacuum.

2. What is the relationship between mass and probability in free particles?

The mass of a free particle is directly related to its probability of being found in a certain location. This is described by the wavefunction, which gives the probability amplitude for a particle to be at a certain position in space.

3. How is the wavefunction solution for a free particle determined?

The wavefunction solution for a free particle is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. This equation takes into account the mass of the particle, as well as its potential energy.

4. What is the significance of the wavefunction for a free particle?

The wavefunction for a free particle is significant because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding the particle at a specific point in space. It also provides information about the particle's momentum and energy.

5. How does the mass of a free particle affect its wavefunction?

The mass of a free particle directly affects its wavefunction, as it is a key component in the Schrödinger equation. A heavier particle will have a shorter wavelength and a smaller spread in position, while a lighter particle will have a longer wavelength and a larger spread in position.