Free particle in One Dimension

In summary, Problem states that the expectation of the momentum vanishes in any state that is purely real. However, this property does not hold for the wavefunction \langle H\rangle .
Domnu
Problem
Consider a free particle moving in one dimension. The state functions for this particle are all elements of [tex]L^2[/tex]. Show that the expectation of the momentum [tex]\langle p_x \rangle[/tex] vanishes in any state that is purely real. Does this property hold for [tex]\langle H \rangle[/tex]? Does it hold for [tex]\langle H \rangle[/tex]?

Solution
For [tex]\langle p_x \rangle [/tex], we have

[tex] \langle p_x \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^* \hat{p_x} \phi dx[/tex]
[tex] = - i \hbar \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx})(-Aik \cdot e^{-ikx} + Bik \cdot e^{ikx}) dx[/tex]
[tex] = -\hbar k \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [A^2 - B^2][/tex],

since we need to have [tex] kx = n\pi[/tex] to satisfy the condition that the wavefunction must be real. But, the above integral diverges to infinity (assuming that [tex] A \neq B[/tex]).

I'll post the second and third parts a bit later, but have I correctly shown that the expectation of the momentum vanishes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do this:
First try to get purely real functions that are elements of L2; squaring wavefunction gives you something like (A^2 +B^2)* exp(2ikx) + 2AB -> 0, when x-> inf. Considering purely real functions gets you A=-B... put that in your equation in the end and you get desired result.

kx=n*pi has nothing to do with the wavefunction being real. Nor does A=(-B). The condition you want is B=conjugate(A). That must be true for every momentum component of the wave function. exp(ikx) and exp(-ikx) represent opposite direction momentum components. What does that tell you?

Ah, yes, I understand why this must be true now... because we need [tex]\phi^* = \phi[/tex]... that was a careless error on my part heh. Also, what exactly does it mean for it to 'vanish'? Does this mean go to 0 or go to infinity? Infinity would be nicer...

I've never heard of 'vanish' meaning 'go to infinity'. In your example the contribution of the exp(ikx) part is equal and opposite to the contribution of the exp(-ikx) part. They cancel. They are also orthogonal, so there are no cross terms. A general wavefunction is a superposition of such functions where A is a function of time and the wavenumber k, A(k,t). But the conclusion still holds.

Hmm... okay i think I understand now. Thanks =)

what is the uncertainity of a free particle moving in one dimension

Your proof is incomplete: you focus on a very particular type of real wavefunction, namely with a fixed value for [itex] p_x^2 [/itex]. However, what you have to prove is that for *any* real wavefunction [itex] \langle p_x\rangle =0. [/itex] There is no need to expand your wavefunction in plane waves, although, as Dick said, it gives a simple intuitive picture for why the momentum is zero on average.

Related to Free particle in One Dimension

1. What is a free particle in one dimension?

A free particle in one dimension is a theoretical concept in physics where a particle moves in a straight line without any external forces acting on it. This means that the particle has a constant velocity and there is no acceleration.

2. What is the significance of studying a free particle in one dimension?

Studying a free particle in one dimension helps us understand the basic principles of motion and how objects behave in a simple and controlled environment. This concept is also used as a building block for more complex systems in physics.

3. How is the motion of a free particle in one dimension described?

The motion of a free particle in one dimension is described using the equations of motion, specifically the equation of motion for constant acceleration. This equation relates the displacement, velocity, and time of the particle.

4. Can a free particle in one dimension have a changing velocity?

No, a free particle in one dimension has a constant velocity because there are no external forces acting on it to change its speed or direction. This is known as Newton's first law of motion.

5. What is the difference between a free particle in one dimension and a free particle in three dimensions?

The main difference is the number of dimensions in which the particle is allowed to move. A free particle in one dimension can only move in a straight line, while a free particle in three dimensions can move in any direction in three-dimensional space.