Free particle, classical vs quantum mechanics

In summary: Therefore, the first integral will also be 0, and the overall expectation value for momentum at time t=0 is ## \hbar k ##. In summary, at time t=0, the particle prepared in state ## \Psi (x,t=0) = \psi (x) e^{ikx} ## has an expectation value for momentum of ## \hbar k ##.
Cogswell

Homework Statement

Consider first a free particle (Potential energy zero everywhere). When the particle at a given time is prepared in a state ## \psi (x) ## it has <x> = 0 and <p> = 0.
The particle is now prepared in
## \Psi (x, t=0) = \psi (x) e^{ikx} ##

1. Give <p> at time t=0.

2. It can be shown in quantum mechanics that <p> is independent of time for a free particle, in anology to Newton's first law in classical mechanics. Give <x> as a function of time.

Homework Equations

## \displaystyle <p> = \int ^{ \infty} _{- \infty} \Psi (x,t)^* \left( \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \dfrac{ \partial}{\partial x} \right) \Psi (x,t) dx ##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I put Psi into the integral and get:

## \displaystyle <p> = \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int ^{ \infty} _{- \infty} \psi (x)^* e^{-ikx} \left( \dfrac{ \partial}{\partial x} \right) \psi (x) e^{ikx} dx ##

## \displaystyle <p> = \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int ^{ \infty} _{- \infty} \psi (x)^* e^{-ikx} \left[ \dfrac{d \psi (x)}{dx} e^{ikx} + ik \psi (x) e^{ikx} \right] dx ##

The exponentials cancel out and I get:

## \displaystyle <p> = \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int ^{ \infty} _{- \infty} \psi (x)^* \dfrac{d \psi (x)}{dx} dx + \dfrac{ik \hbar}{i} \int ^{ \infty} _{- \infty} \psi (x)^* \psi (x) dx ##

So, for a normalised distribution, the area under the curve wil be 1, and so the second integral will give me ## \hbar k##
What about the first integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cogswell said:
## \displaystyle <p> = \dfrac{\hbar}{i} \int ^{ \infty} _{- \infty} \psi (x)^* \dfrac{d \psi (x)}{dx} dx + \dfrac{ik \hbar}{i} \int ^{ \infty} _{- \infty} \psi (x)^* \psi (x) dx ##

So, for a normalised distribution, the area under the curve wil be 1, and so the second integral will give me ## \hbar k##
What about the first integral?

Can you relate the first integral to some property of the state ##\psi (x)## that was specified at the beginning of the problem statement?

Oh right silly me, the first integral is just the expectation value of the momentum of the function ## \psi (x) ## which is given to us as 0.

Related to Free particle, classical vs quantum mechanics

1. What is a free particle in classical mechanics?

A free particle in classical mechanics is a particle that is not subjected to any external forces, such as gravity or friction. It moves in a straight line at a constant speed, according to Newton's laws of motion.

2. How is a free particle described in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a free particle is described as a probability wave or wavefunction. It does not have a definite position or momentum, but rather exists as a spread-out wave of possibilities until it is observed or measured.

3. What is the main difference between classical and quantum mechanics for free particles?

The main difference between classical and quantum mechanics for free particles is that classical mechanics describes the motion of particles as definite and deterministic, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles as probabilistic and uncertain.

4. Can a free particle exist in a bound state in classical mechanics?

No, a free particle in classical mechanics is not subject to any forces that would keep it bound, so it cannot exist in a bound state.

5. How does the concept of wave-particle duality apply to free particles in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described as both waves and particles, and this duality applies to free particles as well. This means that a free particle can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, depending on how it is observed or measured.