Free Particle and the Schroedinger Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the time-dependent one-dimensional Schroedinger Equation for the free particle and a wave packet with a Gaussian amplitude distribution. The physical meaning behind the parameters k0, x0, and d0 are explained. The task of calculating ψ(x,0) and its associated probability density is discussed, with a substitution suggested to simplify the algebra. Finally, the correct form of the probability density is determined to be a Gaussian bell curve.
Lunar_Lander

Homework Statement

Consider the time-dependent one-dimensional Schroedinger Equation for the free particle, i.e. let the Potential be [itex]V(x)=0[/itex]. Consider a wave packet, i.e.
[itex]\psi(x,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}=A(k)\exp[i(kx-\omega(k)t]dk[/itex].
Consider especially the Amplitude distribution
[itex]A(k)=\alpha\cdot\exp[-(k-k_0)^2\cdot d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0][/itex]
(then it says "Gaussian Wave Packet").

For t=0, [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] is given by a simple expression. Calculate this [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] and sketch the associated probabilty density [itex]\rho(x,t=0)=|\psi(x,0)|^2[/itex]. What must α be, so that the wave function is normalized, i.e. [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \rho(x,t=0)dx=1[/itex]? What is the physical meaning behind "the parameters" [itex]k_0, x_0, d_0[/itex]?

Hint: [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp[-(s+c)^2]ds=\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] for all [itex]c\in[/itex] ℂ

Homework Equations

Schroedinger's Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this is a big one. First of all I tried the final question. We were taught that there is a "k-Space" and a "position space" in which the probability density is a gaussian bell curve. x0 should be the highest point of the curve in the position space, whereas k0 is the corresponding amount in the k-space. Also, when I look at the lecture notes, k0 is a vector which corresponds to a wave with a certain momentum. Somehow I don't think that this explanation is too good. What do you think?

Now for the first question. I tried to insert the amplitude distribution into the wave function and then tried to combine the exponential functions. That looked like this:

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[-(k-k_0)^2\cdot d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0]\exp[i(kx)]dk}[/itex]

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[-(k^2-2kk_0+k_0^2)\cdot d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0]\exp[i(kx)]dk}[/itex]

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[k^2d_0^2+2kk_0d_0^2+k_0^2d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0]\exp[i(kx)]dk}[/itex]

And finally arrived at
[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[k^2d_0^2+2kk_0d_0^2+k_0^2d_0^2-ikx_0+ikx]dk}[/itex]

I was told that I would now have to use a completing the square to bring that into a form [itex]Ak^2+Bk+C[/itex], so that I could use the "hint" given in the task. But I got some kind of mental block there. Could someone please help me?

Final question: Is it true that when we look for α, all that has to be done is to set the Integral of ρ multiplied by α equal to 1 and α then is like 1/ρ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
An addendum, just received an E-Mail from the professor, who said that due to many people having difficulties, he would give the solution for ψ, and he said it looks like this:

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\cdot 2^{1/4}\cdot d_0^{1/2}}\exp[i\cdot k_0(x-x_0)]\exp[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{4d_0^2}][/itex]

When I use that, should the probability density be:

[itex]\rho(x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}d}\exp[2ik(x-x_0)]\exp[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{2d^2}][/itex]

?

Lunar_Lander said:
Now for the first question. I tried to insert the amplitude distribution into the wave function and then tried to combine the exponential functions. That looked like this:

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[-(k-k_0)^2\cdot d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0]\exp[i(kx)]dk}[/itex]
Use the substitution k' = k-k0 first. That'll simplify the algebra quite a bit.
Final question: Is it true that when we look for α, all that has to be done is to set the Integral of ρ multiplied by α equal to 1 and α then is like 1/ρ ?
You simply set the integral of ρ equal to 1 and solve for [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Lunar_Lander said:
When I use that, should the probability density be:

[itex]\rho(x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}d}\exp[2ik(x-x_0)]\exp[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{2d^2}][/itex]

?
Almost. The probability density isn't ψ2; it's |ψ|2*ψ.

Ah, thank you! When I take the complex conjugate of ψ for taking the square, then I get

[itex]\rho(x,t=0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}d}\exp[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{2d^2}][/itex].

Looks like a gaussian bell curve to me from the form of the equation. Could that be it?

I cannot provide direct help with homework solutions. However, I can offer some guidance and clarification on the concepts involved.

The time-dependent one-dimensional Schroedinger Equation for the free particle describes the evolution of the wave function of a particle with no external potential. This is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, and it is used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

In this particular problem, we are looking at a wave packet, which is a localized disturbance in the wave function that can be represented as a superposition of different wave functions with different momenta. The amplitude distribution, A(k), describes the relative contribution of each wave function with a different momentum to the overall wave packet.

For the first question, you are on the right track. You need to use the hint provided and complete the square to simplify the expression for the wave function at t=0. This will give you a Gaussian function, which will make it easier to calculate the probability density and determine the value of α that will normalize the wave function.

The physical meaning behind the parameters k_0, x_0, and d_0 can be understood by looking at the Gaussian Wave Packet. The parameter k_0 represents the central momentum of the wave packet, x_0 represents the central position of the wave packet, and d_0 represents the width of the wave packet in momentum space.

For the final question, you are correct that α can be determined by setting the integral of ρ multiplied by α equal to 1. This will ensure that the wave function is normalized, meaning that the total probability of finding the particle at any position is equal to 1.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts involved in this problem. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts rather than just finding a solution to a specific problem. Keep exploring and learning!

Related to Free Particle and the Schroedinger Equation

1. What is a free particle in quantum mechanics?

A free particle in quantum mechanics is a particle that is not subject to any external forces or potential energy. This means that the particle's energy is solely determined by its momentum, and its position is not constrained by any forces.

2. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is a differential equation that takes into account the energy and potential energy of the system.

3. How is the Schrödinger equation used in describing free particles?

The Schrödinger equation is used to determine the wave function of a free particle, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position. By solving the Schrödinger equation, we can determine the energy levels and allowed states of a free particle.

4. What are the implications of solving the Schrödinger equation for a free particle?

Solving the Schrödinger equation for a free particle allows us to understand the behavior and properties of the particle. It also helps us make predictions about the particle's position and momentum, as well as its energy levels and allowed states.

5. How does the concept of a free particle relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The concept of a free particle is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the precise position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because a free particle's position and momentum are described by the wave function, and the more precisely we know one, the less we know about the other.