Free fall of a stone off a cliff

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving two stones falling from rest from the top of a cliff. The problem requires finding the time it takes for the first stone to hit the ground and the height of the cliff. The conversation discusses formulas and methods for solving the problem, including the use of equations for distance, initial velocity, and time. The key to solving the problem is to recognize that the two stones are falling the same distance but with different initial velocities, and therefore require the use of two equations to find the solutions.
brendj3
I am having trouble with this one. for all the formulas I tried I need the velocity, which they don't tell us in the problem. Any help would be appreciated .

A stone falls from rest from the top of a cliff.
A second stone is thrown downward from the
same height 2.4 s later with an initial speed of
47.04 m/s. They hit the ground at the same
time.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
How long does it take the first stone to hit
the ground? Answer in units of s.

How high is the cliff? Answer in units of m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brendj3,

brendj3 said:
I am having trouble with this one. for all the formulas I tried I need the velocity, which they don't tell us in the problem. Any help would be appreciated .

A stone falls from rest from the top of a cliff.
A second stone is thrown downward from the
same height 2.4 s later with an initial speed of
47.04 m/s. They hit the ground at the same
time.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
How long does it take the first stone to hit
the ground? Answer in units of s.

How high is the cliff? Answer in units of m.

What have you tried so far? They give some velocities in the problem, but until you show your work we can't know where you are getting stuck at.

ok what I did was

0 = -9.8 t + 47.04

where 47 is the initial velocity and 0 is the velocity i got a time of 4.8 sec. and then when added to the 2.4 it would give me 7.2 seconds, but I heard this answers was wrong. Do you know what the problem is?

brendj3 said:
ok what I did was

0 = -9.8 t + 47.04

where 47 is the initial velocity and 0 is the velocity i got a time of 4.8 sec. and then when added to the 2.4 it would give me 7.2 seconds, but I heard this answers was wrong. Do you know what the problem is?

You cannot assume that the velocity is zero as it hits the ground. At the instant the rock hits the ground, the rock will actually be traveling faster than its initial velocity since the acceleration due to gravity is in the same direction as the initial velocity. To solve this problem, you will actually need to solve two equations for t and h where h is the height of the cliff. Since you have two stones, both falling the same distance, h, but with different initial velocities it should be easy to get the two equations you need to solve...What is the height, y_1 of the first stone as a function of time? How about the height of the second, y_2?When are they equal?

brendj3 said:
ok what I did was

0 = -9.8 t + 47.04

What you calculated is the time it takes gravity to decelerate 47m/s to 0. This would be the time to max height if you threw the stone in the air at that speed. Interesting, but not necessarily useful.

Think about what you know. You know an initial velocity and a time delay and you are looking for the height of the cliff and time to the bottom.

What equation do you know that relates distance and initial velocity and time? That is the equation you should focus on.

Related to Free fall of a stone off a cliff

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object falls under the influence of gravity, without any additional forces acting on it.

2. How does the height of the cliff affect the free fall of the stone?

The height of the cliff does not affect the free fall of the stone. The only factor that affects free fall is the acceleration due to gravity, which remains constant at 9.8 meters per second squared regardless of the height of the cliff.

3. What is the acceleration of the stone during free fall?

The acceleration of the stone during free fall is 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that the velocity of the stone increases by 9.8 meters per second every second it falls.

4. Does the mass of the stone affect its free fall?

No, the mass of the stone does not affect its free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall with the same acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can we calculate the time it takes for the stone to reach the ground during free fall?

The time it takes for the stone to reach the ground during free fall can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the cliff, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. For example, if the cliff is 50 meters high, it would take approximately 3.19 seconds for the stone to reach the ground.