Free fall motion from airplane

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of a package dropped from a helicopter and how it is affected by variables such as initial velocity, gravity, and time. The correct equation for speed is |V(t)| = |Vi - gt| or |V(t)| = |gt - Vi|.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

A package is dropped at time t = 0 from a helicopter that is ascending steadily at a speed vi.
What is the speed of the package in terms of V[itex]_{i}[/itex], g, and t?

Homework Equations

V (t) = V[itex]_{o}[/itex] + -9.8 t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was the same as the normal equation for velocity such as stated above but with the different variables substituted for example:

|V| = V[itex]_{i}[/itex] + gt

except i got the answer wrong, then i tried putting a negative sign on the v[itex]_{i}[/itex] part but still got it wrong...help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are close. Speed is |v(t)|. Try putting the magnitude bars around your expression for v(t).

the magnitude bars are already there on the online hw, only the stuff to the right of the "=" sign is what I'm able to input...nvm i see what your saying...but there was another part of the question in which the plane was descending and asked the same question and i got it right without putting the '|' around v(t)

Last edited:
Try

|V| = |Vi - gt|

or

|V| = |gt - Vi|

CWatters said:
Try

|V| = |Vi - gt|

or

|V| = |gt - Vi|

tried both but neither worked...i really think it is just the stupid website that i have to do the homework on but I'm all out of chances so doesn't matter now lol thanks for the suggestions though

Related to Free fall motion from airplane

1. How does air resistance affect free fall motion from an airplane?

As an object falls from an airplane, it is subject to the force of air resistance, also known as drag. This force increases as the speed of the object increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity. This results in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

2. How does the height of the airplane affect the free fall motion?

The height of the airplane does not have a significant effect on the free fall motion of an object. As long as the object is above the ground and gravity is the only force acting on it, it will accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect the duration of free fall motion from an airplane?

The duration of free fall motion from an airplane depends on the initial height and the acceleration due to gravity. The higher the initial height, the longer the fall will take. Similarly, a higher acceleration due to gravity, such as on a planet with a stronger gravitational pull, will result in a shorter free fall time.

4. Can a person survive free fall motion from an airplane?

It is highly unlikely for a person to survive free fall motion from an airplane without any safety measures or equipment. The impact of hitting the ground at a high velocity would be fatal. However, with the use of a parachute or other safety devices, a person can safely land from an airplane.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its free fall motion from an airplane?

The mass of an object does not affect its free fall motion from an airplane. According to the principle of inertia, all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass. This means that a feather and a hammer, if dropped from an airplane, would hit the ground at the same time.