Free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free energy as the internal energy of an ideal gas and its relationship to the average internal energy per unit volume. The correct option is determined to be (c) and the source of the questions is revealed to be the JNU Entrance Exam for M.Sc. Physics in 2013. The conversation also touches on the definitions of internal energy and free energy and their connection to the kinetic energy of the gas molecules.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-12_12-13-19.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am taking the free energy as the internal energy of the ideal gas.

Then the average internal energy per unit volume is ## \frac { 3 nk_B T } {2 } ##.

So, the correct option is (c).

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_12-13-19.png
    upload_2017-12-12_12-13-19.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 3,090
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
I am taking the free energy as the internal energy of the ideal gas.
Why did you introduce this approximation?

Also could you let us know the source of these questions.

Useful nucleus said:
Why did you introduce this approximation?

Also could you let us know the source of these questions.

I didn't introduce it thinking that this is an approximation. I thought that free energy is another name for internal energy.
But, now I think that the free energy should be another name for kinetic energy as kinetic energy gives an idea of the particles's freedom to move.
For an ideal gas, the internal energy is defined as the average kinetic energy of the molecules.

I think here, free energy should be the kinetic energy of the whole macrscopic system i.e. gas and I was approximating this kinetic energy of the macroscopic system to the average kinetic energy of the constituent gas molecules unknowingly as this was the only thing which I could do.

The source of these questions is the JNU ( An Indian University) Entrance Exam 2013 for M.Sc.Physics.

Free energy F = U - TS
U = internal energy
S = entropy

You need to invoke the 1st law and the entropy, both of an ideal gas, to come up with the answer.

Related to Free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas

What is free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas?

Free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas is a thermodynamic property that represents the amount of energy that can be extracted from a unit volume of an ideal gas at constant temperature and pressure.

How is free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas calculated?

The free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas can be calculated using the formula: f = (3/2)kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, and f is the free energy per unit volume.

What is the significance of free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas?

The free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas is a measure of the amount of energy that is available to do work. It is an important concept in thermodynamics and is used to understand the behavior of ideal gases in various processes.

What factors affect the free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas?

The free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas is primarily affected by the temperature and pressure of the gas. It also depends on the number of particles in the gas and their interactions with each other.

Can the free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas be negative?

No, the free energy per unit volume of an ideal gas cannot be negative. This is because it is a measure of the energy that is available to do work, and negative values would imply that the gas has more energy than it actually does.