Free energy and temperature graphs

In summary, the standard enthalpy change for the graphed reaction is -31 kJ/mol and the standard entropy change is -35 kJ/mol K.
brake4country

Homework Statement

My questions are based on a graph. I am trying to figure out the standard ΔH change for the graphed reaction and the standard entropy change.

(1) What is the standard enthalpy change for the graphed reaction?
(A) -31 KJ/mol
(B) 0
(C) +12 KJ/mol
(D) +11 KJ/mol

(2) What is the standard entropy change for the graphed reaction?
(A) -35 KJ/mol K
(B) 0
(C) +12 KJ/mol K
(D) +35 KJ/mol K

Homework Equations

ΔG = ΔH-TΔS

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the Gibb's free energy equation to resemble a linear function. I know that the enthalpy is the y-intercept and the slope is the entropy but my answers are not matching any of possibilities. I included an attachment graph. I apologize in advance if the format is not standard for this site. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiple choice them may not need calculations.
If (1) and (2) works together what can be the only possibility?

Can't see any plot in your attachment, just a reaction equation between silver and oxygen, and yes - docx is not a reasonable format. Try just an image - jpg, gif, png.

I presume your graph shows a plot of the equilibrium constant as a function of temperature (or 1/T). Is that correct? Or, is it a plot of ##\Delta G^0## as a function of temperature?

All the instructions say is: Refer to the following graph, which shows the temperature dependence of the standard free energy change for the reaction:
1/2O2+ 2Ag---> Ag2O

I have attached a jpg of the graph. I also noticed that the x-axis is in Celcius, not Kelvin. Some calculations are probably required to convert. For example, I noticed that the gibb's free energy equation is linear and by rearranging: ΔG = -TΔS + ΔH. So, entropy is slope and enthalpy is y-intercept?

Please let me all know what you think of this graph and the two questions I posted in the earlier thread. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20151230_163134[1].jpg
    20151230_163134[1].jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 370
brake4country said:
All the instructions say is: Refer to the following graph, which shows the temperature dependence of the standard free energy change for the reaction:
1/2O2+ 2Ag---> Ag2O

I have attached a jpg of the graph. I also noticed that the x-axis is in Celcius, not Kelvin. Some calculations are probably required to convert. For example, I noticed that the gibb's free energy equation is linear and by rearranging: ΔG = -TΔS + ΔH. So, entropy is slope and enthalpy is y-intercept?

Please let me all know what you think of this graph and the two questions I posted in the earlier thread. Thanks!
The actual relationship is going to be curved, but this graph describes the behavior over a limited range of temperatures, so it can be used to determine the local values of the standard changes in H and S. Your approach is correct. First write out the equation for ΔG as a linear function of centigrade temperature TC. Then substitute T = TC + 273. Then determine the slope and intercept of the resulting equation to get ΔH and ΔS .

Chet

Ok. So for the standard enthalpy change, we have to look at the values in Kelvin. Since at 0K, ΔG = ΔH, we have to look at the value for -273 C on the graph, which is approx. -31 kJ/mol. Similarly, the entropy change is slope, which was a bit tricky because picking two points on the line, the y values have to be converted to kelvin. I get -0.035 kJ/mol K, which converts to the right answer: -35 J/mol K. I hope my rationale is correct here!

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Free energy and temperature graphs

1. What is free energy and how is it related to temperature?

Free energy is a measure of the amount of energy that a system can use to do work. It is related to temperature through the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

2. How does free energy change with temperature?

As temperature increases, the free energy of a system also increases. This is because the ΔS term in the equation for free energy becomes more significant at higher temperatures, resulting in a larger overall change in free energy.

3. What does the shape of a free energy vs. temperature graph indicate?

The shape of a free energy vs. temperature graph indicates the stability of a system. A negative slope indicates that the system is stable, while a positive slope indicates that the system is unstable. A plateau or minimum point on the graph indicates a state of equilibrium.

4. How can free energy and temperature graphs be used to predict phase transitions?

Free energy vs. temperature graphs can be used to predict phase transitions by observing the points where the slope of the graph changes. A change in slope indicates a change in the stability of the system, which can correspond to a phase transition. For example, the point where the solid, liquid, and gas phases of a substance meet on a free energy vs. temperature graph is known as the triple point.

5. Can free energy and temperature graphs be used to determine the spontaneity of a reaction?

Yes, free energy and temperature graphs can be used to determine the spontaneity of a reaction. If the ΔG value is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. However, if the ΔG value is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not proceed without an input of energy.